My 15mth old, has yet to say anything, its hard to know what she wants, anything that I could try to help?

My 15mth old daughter isnt talking yet she hasnt even said one word, im kinda geting worried but I think she might have a speach problem, I did. Anything in mind that I could try to help her let me know what she wants or thinking without talking?
thanks

AthenaHudsMom

Asked by AthenaHudsMom at 1:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to her all the time. Point out things. Say,"see the bird? look at the bird up there. What color is the bird? Is he blue?" etc.
    I'd get her in for an evaluation from a birth to 3 program just in case. Get her hearing checked.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Try some simple sign language. There are many books you can get that will teach you both simple signs so she can at least let you know her basic needs.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It varies widely when a child will start to speak but I agree that you might want to get her hearing checked.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My children were delayed in speech, one thing that we did was we taught them sign language (for: more, please, thank you, drink, eat, milk....). They picked up on those very quick and it made it less frustrating for both the kids and I when they wanted something. I would also talk to the pediatrician and let him/her know you are concerned about her speech. They may refer you for an evaluation. My middle was evaluated by the Birth to 3 program at 18 months and had speech therapy (and other therapies) thru them. My youngest was evaluated by our school district and placed in early childhood thru the school.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• also read to her too just little short stories that help with my daughter
    mom2mygirls0208

Answer by mom2mygirls0208 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I am constantly talking to my son. Telling him what I am feeding him, doing, seeing, anything. On words I want him to learn, I say them over & over slowly. Example: Do you want M I L K? Should mama get you M I L K? How about some M I L K? And I have used some sign language with him to help.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I already had her hearing checked she passed with flying colors she has no problems at all with hearing, she understands what I do and what I say, she copys me on alot of things but she dont talk or let me know what she wants I have to just guess! its hard on me! But thank you girls I will try with sign language.
    AthenaHudsMom

Comment by AthenaHudsMom (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Your school district should be able to connect you to your state's Early Intervention system. I would recommend having the evaluation done. At 15 months, if the only delay is expressive language, there is a good chance that she is not delayed enough for services (here in MD, it's 25% delay), but they can give you great strategies for helping the verbalization along if she doesn't qualify and if she does, it's best to correct it as soon as possible.
    When I called here in MD for my son, a private therapist recommended "Beyond Baby Talk" (I didn't get it, so I'm not sure of the author) and "The New Language of Toys" (Schwartz/Miller), which I did get. I found it on Amazon for $.05. Best danged nickel I ever spent!
    Don't drive yourself nuts; pick one or two "target words" that will make it easier to meet her needs and really model them whenever you can. Hootie's answer is dead on about how to model your target words.
    bethnylara

Answer by bethnylara at 4:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010