New kitty Vs older cats

We have 2 cats that are Brother /Sister and 9-1/2 years old. We just got a new kitty they are not so happy about. Right now I have kitten in the bathroom while we are away but how long should I do that.. 2 weeks? they don't attack her but they do hiss and growl

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly, they're going to hiss and growl for a while, that's pretty normal. I know some people recommend keeping the cats separate, but if they don't attack her, I wouldn't. I have 7 cats, and most of them I've had for close to 17 years. When my fiance brought his cat into the household, mine barely reacted (they're ridiculously easy going), but his cat was hissing and growling and generally being a total ass (keep in mind, I have 2 dogs too, so the poor thing was a bit overwhelmed). I never kept them separated, and even though he was pretty weary of the dogs for a couple of months, the hissing and growling pretty much stopped after a couple of weeks.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• you have to introduce them a little at a time start off threw the door first and find something of your older cats give it to the kitten and something with the kitten smell to your older cats so they can take in each others scent and just slowly show them the kitten you hold the little kitten and rubbing your older cats reassuring them they are all equal eventually they will get along i went threw the same thing not even a month ago hit me up if u want more info
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I am not sure but good luck!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 1:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• don't worry too much, it just takes cats a little while to warm up to each other. I had an older cat when I got our new kitten, and she didn't like her for awhile...but they play and sleep together now. cats are just tempermental sometimes. they'll warm up to each other.
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• They'll get used to it, just give them time. They're used to being boss of the applesauce and I'm sure they don't like the idea of sharing attention and territory. We got a kitten at the end of July and we were afraid our 17 yr old and 6 yr old cats would try to eat her! It didn't really take long for them to get used to her. We put a baby gate upstairs so the kitten wouldn't wander off and get into trouble with the other cats. It took about a month for the 6 yr old cat to get used to her, and now they seem to be friends. They fight, but it's more like playing and the kitten can certainly hold her own in a fight with him now. The old lady cat pretends she doesn't like the kitten, but I caught them sleeping together on the chair the other day, and then sneaking around on the counter together the other night.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010