How can I wash a dress that is dry clean only?

I have a formal dinner that I have to go to on wed. and I dont have the time or money to take my dress to the cleaners. It is only a little dirty on the bottom of the dress so I am wondering if there is a way i can wash it without messing it up.

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 1:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• what is it made out of?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• 100% Poly and the lining is 100%Acetate...My husband just told me about this dinner and Now im rushing to make sure I have everything.
    Shelii

Comment by Shelii (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There is actually a home dry cleaning kit that you can use. It has a solution that you use to clean, kind of blot. If your dress is really dirty at the bottom though I don't think that it would work. I hope you find something.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My sis has a lot of dry clean only garments and she uses Dryel - the use at home dry cleaning kit.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do a search online but i think you can actually use woolite or wisk on most things and gently hand wash them then rinse with cool water and roll in a towel to dry. Do NOT wring just roll up and lay flat to dry.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i've washed a polyester dress in the washer, i turned it inside out washed on perma press in cool water GL oh and hung to dry
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Boy, I wouldn't risk it on a formal dress if I paid a bundle for it. Might be cheaper to just find a new formal at the thrift shop.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't know what acetate is....but ploy for sure can go in the washer. I've washed a ton of things in the washer that were "dry clean only" . What I do is put it on delicate cycle, put it in a mesh bag and wash with mild detergent. Like All free and clear or Woolite. I've yet to see anything get ruined. Besides, when you dry clean clothes there's nothing "dry" about it. The garmet goes into a special washer with tons of strangers' clothes(eww) and it gets saturated with special chemicals. Nothings really washed. Double eww.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Dryel works wonders. I used to use it on my hubby's dress uniforms when I didn't have time to get them dry cleaned.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2010