what are pros and cons of having your son circumsized

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Research this topic for yourself.. Don't listen to anyone on here.. as the argument generally gets ugly.

My son is NOT circumcised and I made that decision after lots of research. Circumcision is purely cosmetic and unnecessary in my opinion. There are no "real" benefits to having it done.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• pro: none! it's only superficial. not worth the pain to me. don't let people convince you that a circ'd penis is cleaner and will prevent stds.
    con: pain, possible extra surgeries, possible pulling back foreskin.

an uncut boy will have to learn how to clean it, just like a girl would have to learn how to clean herself.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 1:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• DEBATE TIME!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Pros: He will look like many other American men
    Cons: It will hurt. You are cutting a piece of his body off him!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I can't think of any pros to it unless it was absolutely medically necessary.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• (I mean there's more to it than that, esp on the con side, but that's the basic situation and that's enough for me to make a choice!)
    FelipesMom

• I agree with xxlilmomma09. Look up stuff yourself. I have a son and he is circumcised. I did that because I personally believe it was better to do it then to not do it. My best friends son isn't circumcised. It all depends on how you feel. Don't go with what's in "trend" or what people say.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• This is most definitely something that must be researched and decided upon by each parent.

Some circ for religous reasons.
    Some do not circ for religious reasons.
    Some circ for aesthitic reasons.
    Some do not.

Any pros/cons in regards to health benefits are more correlleation than causation. Because most are due to proper hygeine, proper care, and safe sex practices..Not the practice of circumcision itself.

It's definitely a personal decision .
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I only have a daughter and we are not sure what sex this baby is i think we are going to make it a suprise, i just want to be prepared if i have to make that decision if its a boy
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Pros- less risk of certain conditions, diseases, and cancers.
    Cons- none, other than the surgery itself, which my son was numbed for and slept through
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010