Bad Mom for not wanting to Breast-feed? continued

Thanks for all the opinions!

Honestly, I was asking for all opinions on the issue. Personally I AM NOT breasty-feeding b/c this will be my third c-section and with all the discomfort associated with both things, i don't think I'll be able to do it. Also after surgery my Husband usually helps me out with the feedings.

Now another question. Does pumping breat milk hurt as much as actually doing it? Can I lay down and do it and how long does it take? I am about 85% to 15% on not breast-feeding to breast-feeding.

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that you can nurse while you are lying down. In fact, laying in bed with your new baby and nursing as much as possible in those first weeks are a great way to make sure you get enough rest and can heal, and that you have a good milk supply. I couldnt imagine having to mix and warm and clean bottles while healing from surgery!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I pumped. It did not hurt, unless I didn't pay attention to my body and my breasts got extra full. Kaylee, after the first week, wouldn't latch on properly, and i was not ready to give her formula, so i gave her breast milk in a bottle. If it hurts when you are pumping, you are doing something wrong, just like with breastfeeding. I pumped for about 4 weeks and then my milk started to dry up, so I mixed half formula and half BM as long as I could to help her transition. It worked out really well for us, and I know that I gave her the best that I could for the first 2 months of her life.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I don't think it's bad that your aren't going to breast feed, I didn't breast feed mine. My sister breast fed her oldest and she said that pumping hurt a little bit but I guess maybe it just depends on your tolerance level for pain.
    envyme72

Answer by envyme72 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Tanya, so the question is, does it hurt to pump??? AND how do you know if baby is getting enough?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Im going to breast feed for a year, HEALTHY HEALTHY HEALTHY and very cheap. You wont need to spend almost 20 dollars on such a small container of formula that will only last 2 days.

I heard that it hurts for some women to pump because they have so much milk...
    Anonymous

• just get yourself a really nice double pump like the medela pump in style or something like that and you should be fine. you can pump laying down. it hurts less than breastfeeding.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 1:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Pumping only hurts if you turn the suction too high.

Laying down could be, well, messy. But if you can manage a way that doesn't spill the milk, go for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

IT DOES NOT HURT TO PUMP. It IS a lot of work, and a commitment to every two horus around the clock.

You know baby is geting enoguht the same way you would if you formula fed. Use the same amounts.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• You know the baby is getting enough just the same way you would know if you were feeding formula. Your body will produce only what the baby needs. For example, my baby ate approximately 2 ounces every 2 hours for the first 3 or 4 weeks of her life. So, I got approximately 1 ounce from each breast every 2 hours...sometimes it was uneven, like 1/2 ounce from once breast and 1 1/2 ounces from the other.

When I realized that she was no longer staying full, or that she was eating more often, then I started pumping until I was completely empty. No more milk in da booby at all! That will kick your body and tell them that you need to produce more milk. Unfortunately with me, I went up to an 1 1/2 ounces per boob for about a week and a half, and then my supply started drying up. (this happens to all women in my family...their milk dries up within 3 months, so I was not worried)
    Hope that helps!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008