I ask too many questions on the subject, but you ladies are always so helpful .. :) GD, sugar levels!?

I've managed my GD with diet since diagnosed at 29-30 weeks. My levels are becoming a little high, 145-165mg/dl an hour after a meal instead of less than 130mg/dl which is what it is supposed to be. I called the dr. last night to check, and he said we'll be fine, just to watch the diet and call if they are consistently above 250mg/dl. Well, if they do get that high this late in the game, what do you think he will do? I don't think he would put me on insulin this late, do you? Also, as of last Monday I was still thick & closed, but he said the baby's head was 'right there' .. so I know that doesn't mean much, just thought I'd throw that out there. Ha. Also, I'm pretty sure I am being induced at 39 weeks because of the GD, and I am very comfortable with that as I am TERRIFIED of having a stillborn baby! :( Any ideas?

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 12:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had Gd with both pregnancies, If your levels are alittle high its not anything to really worry about. I don't know how far along you are but you do need to know that if you can not control it by diet they will put you on insuline or deliver to keep the baby healthy. I hope that helps any other questions? feel free to ask.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 2:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Your glucose readings will most likely get higher every day until you deliver. That is normal with GD in the last trimester. Yes, it is possible that you will be put on insulin even this late in the game. If it is best for the baby, they will do it until you are closer to term. IF you are going to be induced earlier than 39 weeks, push for steroid shots. It will aide in lung maturity. You don't want to spend a long time in NICU...we spent 3 wks there..not fun! I have had a stillborn due to GD, so listen to your body and if it feels off..call your doctor ASAP!!
    Claire
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008