Tubes in your child's ear?

So my 6 yr old daughter has to have tubes put in her ears. I'm not sure what to expect since this a new procedure for us. Can anyone give my any pointers or let me know what i need to have in case ?

sweet_mamaof3

Asked by sweet_mamaof3 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They do the procedure very quickly and only knock your child out just long enough to do the procedure and quickly wake them back up. My son was 9 MONTHS old when he had his ear tubes put in. He literally had chronic ear infections from birth and we just couldn't put it off any longer. The entire procedure took 10 minutes, then a few minutes for them to bring him back to me and put him back in my arms. I had to use ear drops for a short period of time, on him. They gave me the drops. The only other thing was that they told me to look for discharge and call if he had any, but he never did. He is 5 now and hasn't had an ear infection since the procedure. He never seemed to have any ill effects in the time after the procedure. Once they put him back in my arms he was perfectly content in the days following. Actually he was better than he had ever been because he was no longer sick any more.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i had tubes in my ears when i was younger due to always getting ear infections:( i'm 24 now and havent had an ear infection since i was 7!
    sarahmarie105

Answer by sarahmarie105 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My son had them twice his ears were bad they use a general anesthesia and the doctor puts the tubes in its quick and they rest for a couple days and my son started to talk and be able to hear better. GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All 3 of mine have had 2 sets each and adenoids removed. It doesnt take very long. Sometimes going to the chiropractor will help and you wont need tubes. I have been doing this with my 2 (almost 3) year old for a year and he has not had another set of tubes. He had his first set at 3 months and 2nd set at 9 months. 2nd set fell about 8 months ago. Chiropractor has HELPED A LOT!
    J.Norman

Answer by J.Norman at 5:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My son is currently on his third set of tubes ( one already out and the other partially). He has had chronic ear infections since about 6 months old. They will give her some anesthesia to relax her and make her sleepy. Once the anesthetic has fully kicked in they will take her away for 10 minutes roughly (takes longer to prep for the procedure than to actually do it) and then the doctor will come out and let ya know how she is doing and will have you go be with her until she can be released. They will give you some drops. I recommend (this is gonna sound odd but hear me out) before applying them to place the bottle in your bra between your boobs to warm the drops up. Cold drops won't go over well. I would have Children's Motrin on hand for pain. It will take a few days but she should do fine :) I wish ya'll luck and hopefully you will only have to go through it once.
    aksasymama

Answer by aksasymama at 6:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• not make any loud noise and no water in the ear, watch her/his temperature
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010