• In the Spotlight:

could it be true?

My son Damion is 3 years old and lately he has started this thing where he keeps saying his stomach hurts. I thought about getting him checked out at first but he seems to say it at every meal time, anytime it's nap or bed time, and just basically when he doesn't get his way. Could his stomach really hurt or has he some how figured out a way to get out of doing things?

envyme72

Asked by envyme72 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• its his way of getting out of things! my oldest son tried that with me and i told him fine since you dont want to eat (or whatever you need him to do) we will go to the dr and you can get a shot to make your tummy feel better! it worked for me so try that!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Just like 4lyfe56 said, it's his way of getting out of stuff. My cousin (she's 4) tells my grandma her tummy hers ALL THE TIME. My grandma tries to put her down for a nap, her tummy hurts. She tries to get her to go potty, her tummy hurts. She tries to get her to sit down and watch TV or eat lunch, whattaya know, her tummy hurts. She knows that she won't have to do whatever it is that's asked of her if "her tummy hurts".

I think if you ignore him he'll stop. I also like 4lyfe's idea of telling him that you can go to the doctor and get a tummy shot, haha xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• He knows the system! Smart, aren't they?!?
    Want a special treat instead of meat loaf for dinner? My tummy hurts.
    Want to watch cartoons instead of running errards with mom? My tummy hurts.
    Magic, isn't it?
    If you don't want to treaten him with a shot, find some nasty tasting syrup and give him a spoonful of it. Even a spoonful of a nasty, unsweetened herbal tea will work. Just put it in an official looking bottle - many pharmacies will give you one - and keep it in the fridge, ready to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My son kind of does that too. Although, he enjoys medicine and askes to go to the doctor. He will tell me "I don't feel good, lets go to the doctor so they can give me a shot." He's 4.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2008