Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Boy ate halloween candy laced with METH

LUBBOCK, TX (CNN) - Levelland, TX police are waiting on lab tests to confirm whether Halloween candy given to a 4-year-old was laced with drugs.

This investigation is somewhat of a Halloween nightmare for police, who are working to figure out how methamphetamines made it into the body of Jaime Chavez.

His mother rushed him to the hospital Friday when the boy was non-responsive and "out of it."

"The test came back to show he had meth in his system," said Levelland Police Chief Toney Cowan.

Police learned from Jaime's mother that the meth could have come from candy his older sister got during a school Halloween festival.

"We notified the school district the possibility some of the candy had meth in it," said Cowan. The school district has asked parents to bring back all the candy they received at the festival.

Cont below


Asked by AprilDJC at 2:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 20 (8,524 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • IDK about this. I mean, how is he the only one to have ingested meth? Would there really be only ONE piece of candy with it? How likely is that? I'm glad he's ok, and I'm glad so far he's the only one, but this doesn't sound right to me, it doesn't make sense to me.
    We always check our kids candy, and throw away any that isn't closed all the way. Even though even when WE buy, like mini reeses cups, some of them aren't closed all the way, we toss them. Hubby looked it up and didn't see any reported cases of poisoned candy, but I still always worry. I'm interested to see what comes of this case, if he indeed got the meth from the candy. If so, I sure hope the catch the sicko's that put it there. This is horrible.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • In all the years that people have been worried about kids' candy being tampered with- it has never been proven to be done by any one other than a family member. What usually happens is that the kids get into something at home and the parents blame the candy as a scapegoat. I am willing to bet that this is a similar situation.

    Poor kid.

    Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • historymamaX3...thats what I was thinking. Very piece in the whole other kids affected, not even the boy's sister? I don't buy it.

    Answer by brandyj at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • OMG! That is horrible!!!

    Answer by cheekycherub at 2:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • Why is this in just for fun??

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • Story not kosher..i'm thinking someone isn't telling all

    Answer by tnmomofive at 3:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • Yeah, i'm not buying it. I think the poor kid stumbled onto someones stash.

    Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • "It concerns us. What are we dealing with? One piece or the entire bag?" said Cowan. "We are not 100 percent sure of the parent who sent the candy but we have a pretty good idea."

    The department says it could have been worse. There are no reports of any other children testing positive for meth and Jaime's is the only incident.

    Investigators will not know for sure whether the candy was laced with drugs until test results come back.

    The candy will be tested at DPS crime lab in Lubbock, TX.

    You would THINK that candy from a school event would be okay, but I guess you really can't trust any of it 100%. Do you check your kids candies before they eat them? Would you even be able to detect something like that? So glad that this little boy recovered and is ok!

    Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • I thought about putting it in the politics and current events since it's "news" but last time I put something there not related to politics, I got asked WHY is this here? Lol can't win :/

    Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

  • We always check all candy before it gets eaten. We pick through it piece by piece, checking to make sure there is still air in the package, there are no holes, and it doesn't look like it's been tampered with. We tossed out about 1/3 of the candy this year because it just didn't look "right". I did buy a small bag of assorted stuff to supplement it. It's so sad that stuff like this happens!!

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010