What do you think of recent studies that show genes may affect whether we are liberal or conservative?

I think it's an interesting idea to think about. I've often wondered how someone who grew up in either a very conservative or liberal environment could end up with such different views from everyone else they know. I would like to think I have some free will in my views too, of course, but maybe there's a biological reason why about 1/2 of us view the world one way and the other half another way. Maybe having all these different perspectives about the world around made us more likely to survive as a species or something. Just a thought. Maybe it's a good thing we all think so differently, so that we all THINK and share ideas when trying to solve problems. :-)

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thats got to be the biggest crock I've ever heard. Geneticaly our bodies have never heard of politics....but of course people will believe anything, so it dosnt surprise me people could believe this lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I'll pay to send some conservatives new JEANS...lol

jk...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Cont...political views can be influence by things like how you see fairness, how much sympathy you have, how involved in the group you feel or how independant you think people are (or should be). All these things can be affected by genes. So I would totally agree with that statement.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't think genetics have anything to do with politics either, but hey, I could be wrong.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I've read it. The premise and the data are flawed. What it really says is that people who are part of larger cliques are more likely to be liberal. The conclusions drawn in the study just aren't supported by the findings, and most peer reviews are going to conclude it is invalid.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I'd have no doubt that genes play a role in political views. The nature of genes is that they influence everything you are frmt your looks, your mannerisms, your temperment, your personality, etc... Ever notice how a shy son has a shy parent or a loud daughter has a loud parent? Or a son holds a pen the same way his father does? Cont...
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I don't think one has anything to do with the other.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do I think it's an interesting study? Sure. Do I believe that genetics affect political persuasion? Not at all.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• well, I was adopted and my family was democratic. I think part of it had to do with my dad being from England and so therefore he was pretty liberal while my mom was more middle of the road but staying on the left. I had the same Ideals they did until I met my now husband who is very republican. I eventually came over to the republican side because I started to see things differently. Really, the main reason was because I was tired of paying taxes for government programs that people were using fraudulently. I didn't think I should be paying for their Escalades when I couldn't afford one. But I digress...Anyway, my biological parents are republican and pretty conservative. I'm unsure about the studies and all but I just thought that was interesting and adds to the nurture vs. nature debate a bit :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• How come most people I know decide to be just the opposite of what their parents are?
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010