question about lungs and smoking cigs

hello! I cant remember where I read it or what exactly it was about, but something like if you quit in your 30's your lungs are still very healthy enough to heal and detox as long as you quit smoking for good? I'm sure at any age they can heal, but the older you get the harder it will be on the lungs?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Health

• My understanding is that the longer you smoke--and the heavier--the more likely it is that permanent damage that will lead to the formation of cancer will take place. My friend's mom had quit smoking almost 20 years before her lung cancer diagnosis. It was very, very sad that because she'd smoked for so long before that, the damage was already done. She ended up passing away a year or two after her diagnosis.
    Some people think "well I'll just quit later", but by the time they get around to it, there may already be irreversible damage to the body's cells. I quit a few years ago and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think that depends on how long have you been exposed to the toxins.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 2:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I know sometimes there is a "too late" for that..my grandma smoked from age 17 to age 65. She quit but died of COPD at age 75. The damage was too great after that long. The sooner the better!
    Anonymous

• Quitting is always better no matter what age or how long you have been doing it. Of course there are going to be side effects. I quit cold turkey in 2007 and felt soooo much better just 2 weeks after quitting. I could breathe! Now I can't stand the smell and get mad when I walk through someone else's cloud.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I appreciate your condolences. COPD is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. In my opinion, its just as bad as dying of lung cancer (my great aunt had that so I have seen both) My mom also died of COPD when she was age 60 but unlike grandma she never seriously tried to quit smoking. She was smoking even while she was on oxygen. I was very upset with her for not even attempting to quit smoking & possibly prolonging her life. I was 5 mo preg. when she died. My daughter will never know her grandma except through stories & pictures because she decided it was more important to smoke. My mom saw her mom die of COPD but continued to smoke with the idea that "oh that wont happen to ME! I'll quit soon". Soon never came.
    Anonymous

• whats copd? sorry you lost your grandma at a young age :(
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• sharell when I quit a few years ago I felt the same way. I dated a guy who didnt smoke so I was never around it and I forgot all about cigarettes. I actually despised people who smoked and hate the smell. I've become more mellow and nice since then lol. I would never judge someone just because they smoke.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010