Kindergarten Problems

My daughter is 5 and started kindergarten this fall. She is doing well academically but socially she is not. She is very shy with teacher's. Barley talks to them. She is not shy with the other children though. She is constantly asking to go to the nurse's office because she says she does not feel well. The other day the bus left without her at the end of the school day because she was wandering the halls looking for sister's classroom so she could walk to the bus with her. And that is not the 1st time she was wandering halls alone and got lost. We have parent teacher conference coming up in a few weeks and I plan on addressing the problem. Not sure what is going on with her. She says she likes school. Maybe it is to much for her at such a young age.

ramajil

Asked by ramajil at 2:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I felt the same way last year when my granddaughter was in kindergarten. The teacher was terrible. From the very first day, she labeled her has a problem and separated her from the class the entire year. She make it a very unpleasant year for my granddaughter. I think they are just so young and this is all so new to them. I do not like the fact that she was let to roam the halls alone though. That I would definitely address. We wondered several times about pulling her out and waiting to the next year, but they told us not to do that because the child will feel they did something wrong. Don't settle until your problems are addressed though and make sure the teacher is able to handle the children. This year my granddaughter got an excellent teacher because my daughter told the school we wanted a 1st grade teacher that was prepared to handle ALL types of children. So, hang in there, but do tell them you are not happy!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Umm, first of all you need to talk to the teacher,, my kindergartener is on lock down at his school! I would have your other child come to her classroom and pick her up everyday! I would also go and observe the class,, see what seems to be the issue! Good luck, I feel your pain!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• A couple things here. First, once a child begins school..you cannot just stop. I was informed of this by our district last year when my grandson was clearly struggling far behind the class. I also would not wait until conferences. I would address these issues immediately. In our school kindergarteners are not even allowed off the K Hall without a teacher. If the older sister can help her be comfortable than work our an arrangement for the older to meet the younger each day. You also need to talk to her about ';crying wolf' Somedays she may really be ill and they woill blow her off. This happened to my nephew. He asked to gop to the nurses office all the time. Then the day he needed it most nobody believed him and his appendix ruptured(no fever). Waiting a few weeks is only going to compound the problem. I tell teachers all the time don't come to me with issues 3 weeks old. Notify me immediately so I can handle it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Address the problem ASAP w/her teacher
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010