What's Your Opinion? Allow My 12 y/o Daughter Into delivery Room With Her Sister?

Here goes.....and I really want to hear opinions on this.

I have 2 daughters.....the youngest is almost 13 and the oldest is 28 and expecting her first child in December. I raised my oldest on my own and put the fear of God into her about pregnancy. I was always open with her and gave her every opportunity to come to me if she was "ready" and (no questions asked) I'd take her for birth control. That and watching me go into hard labor with her little sister kept her from getting pregnant until now (at the age of 28)

Now my youngest, has a "boyfriend" and I have had the talk with her an all....same thing as her sister etc. But I felt that if she were in the delivery room when her sister gives birth it will allow her to take a step back and say, "OMG!" Her sister wants her there for the same reason.

What is your opinion?? let er rip!!

toydiva65

Asked by toydiva65 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I say go for it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Why not? Younger kids get to watch their siblings be born all the time...it may curb her, but, it would be an awesome learning experience all the same.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Sure.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If the sister is okay with it, I don't see a reason why not... I don't believe anyone but the parents and the doctors should be in the room, but that's me. I don't see any reason why not to let her in the room if the mother and her both want her to be there.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Sure why not. That's plenty old enough to know what's going on and it might even be a great lesson for her!! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My SIL was there when her little sister was born, she was 12. She said he really helped her see that she did not want to have a baby until she was ready...she had her first at 30 :D
    Now her older sister was 14 and she said it made her want to have a baby. She had her first at 17.

So it can go either way.

I think birth is beautiful and that if she is ready to attend then it is good for her. It will let her see first hand what happens, so she will be better informed when she is ready to have a baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i think it's absolutely fine, i watched my big sis give birth when i was 15. i waited until i was 28 to have mine!
    collinsmomma656

Answer by collinsmomma656 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I also say go for it, i wouldnt force her to be there but if she wants to be I dont see a problem with it. I just witnessed my first birth that wasnt my own child at the beginning of this year and even after having 2 of my own children it was a huge experience...I think if I had seen it before I got pregnant I would have probably been scared.

foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• At first I was like heck NO! But when I read the entire question, I am thinking it might be a good idea! Does not mean she has to SEE the ENTIRE thing, but it might help her understand the possible consequences of having sex.
    I say go for it.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would say go for it.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010