Babysitting?

At scouts the othere night a mom assumed that I had 5 kids when I said no I had 3 but did have 5 today as I was watching a friends kids while she worked the mom asked me if I watched other kids I replied that sure I would! She asked what I charged my friend and I replied $20 per kid per day. She expressed an intrest in me watching her 8 yr old when there is no school. What would you charge? Do you think it is okay to have a friend rate and an other rate?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 2:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think if you told her $20 she would expect that rate. Maybe you should tell her $20 and she provides food or $25 and you provide food. I usually pay $25 a day for my 8 yr old. Atleast the food thing would give you a reason to mess with your rates.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree with ria7. I think it's ok for your to have a different for friends and other's, but since you already told her a rate, she probably thinks that is what you plan to charge her also.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 3:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree if you told her you charge $20 a day per child then that is what she is going to expect to pay. Honestly that is higher than daycare rates around here. My 3 yr olds daily daycare rate is 19 a day and my 5&6 yr olds daily rate is 14 for 8-10 hours.
    J.Norman

Answer by J.Norman at 5:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• yes 20.00 is fine and dont let they talk you down and start useing you
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I would not negotiate unless you feel totally comfortable with accepting less. I have sold myself short babysitting MANY times and wish I hadn't.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• It is OK to have a friend rate and an other rate. Me, I'd charge $3,000 because I wouldn't want to do it and nobody would take me up on the offer.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2010