Need Simple Dinner Recipes

I am a new stay-at-home and am finding it difficult to think of 3 meals a day, 7 days a week! I need help mainly with dinners! My husband got a new job, and will actually be joining us EVERY night for dinner now :) + plus our two boys (ages 3 & 1).

I would love to have simple dinner recipes. We eat almost anything, except seafood and fish. I am hoping for meals that are easy to throw together even if they take a while to cook (ie crock pot recipes).

I would also be happy with websites that I could go to to find simple recipes :)

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Food Network
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 2:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• All recipes.com is great for that. Slow cooker recipes are nice because you can throw it together and it cooks all day. I throw everything in the slow cooker. Chicken, pork chops, roasts. I will just throw in some cut up potatoes and some stock and then I have leftovers for sandwiches the next day. But check out the site, you can also check recipes by ingredients which is nice so you can find recipes with stuff you already have in house.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• hillbillyhousewife.com is a great site focused on frugal home cooking. they have tons of great recipes and other money saving info as well. Hope you enjoy it! It's one of my favorites.

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 2:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Well, I have an easy meal idea! I call them Pizza Rolls...

For DH, DS, and I, I take a can of the jumbo-sized Pillsbury crescent rolls and open them up. I then pair them off into a square and squish together the seam that forms the two triangles. I smear on a little pizza sauce, put down some pepperoni or sliced ham, sprinkle in some cheese, and roll up like a burrito. I bake them at the temp the roll can says to until they are browned on the outside. TADA!

These are awesome and particularly easy lunches to make! And as a dinner, they're a great food to watch with a movie!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My SO likes this soup I make very quick and easy.
    1. 1lb of hamburger meat( I use turkey burger)
    2. 4 cans of sucatosh(has lima beans,corn and tomatoes) or there is another tomatoe based canned vegi mix w okcra.

cook meat in a pot(drain grease if any) add canned vegi mix(dont drain) tomatoe base becomes broth. cook till a low boil. Then serve. You can use saltine crackers, corn muffins,or just dinner rolls.
    Its quick and easy only about 15mins to make. My kids love this soup to and its great when its cold out. And healthy if you use turkey and dont add salt.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh, and an easy crockpot meal? Get a beef rump or shoulder roast, fill halfway to covering the roast with water. sprinkle one pkg of Lipton's onion soup mix on top of the roast, the other pack into the water. Chunk up some onion, potato, carrot, celery, and cook on low until desired doneness/tenderness of the meat.

matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We'll Taco's are a Favorite in my house the biggest part of the meal is browning the meat.
    Italian Chicken over rice or noodles - get boneless chicken and a bottle of Italian dressing. cover the chicken with dressing cover with Alum. foil and cook on low (or in crockpot) all day...may need to add water)

Stew is an easy one but it does take about 20 minutes in the morning to prepare.

ham, potatoes, and green beans (crockpot)

pulled pork (get a pork shoulder and cover it in BBQ sauce and a little water (cover and bake in oven all day or in the crockpot)

Chili- ground beef, tomatoes onions, beans, chili seasoning packet, bell peppers all diced add water to crockpot and let cook all day

I also have a 1 and 3 year old. I come up with a 2 week menu every 2 weeks if you want anymore ideas let me know I can share my menu ideas with you and you can take what you like and leave the rest!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 3:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Place brisket or chicken in crock pot and add small amount of water. Chicken on low. Brisket on high for 8 hours. After done, drain but you can leave just a bit of juice. Pour favorite BBQ sauce for sandwiches and microwave steamed veggies or pickles. The brisket was great! Chicken is ok when on a budget.

Make chili in crock pot and pour over Fritos to make Frito pie. Add shredded cheddar cheese, avacado, lettuce, and tomatoes.

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You can get some great recipes in cooking groups here on CafeMom. Check out Cooking 101 and Southern & Soul Food. Here's one my family likes
    Swiss Steak
    1 lb. round steak
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons oil or butter
    4 oz. tomato sauce
    1 onion, sliced
    1 green pepper, sliced
    Cut steak into serving portions. Combine flour, salt, and black pepper in medium-size bowl. Roll cut steaks in flour mixture, coating both sides. Melt oil or butter in a hot skillet. Brown round steak on both sides, but do not cook. Place in crock pot and add tomato sauce, onion, and green pepper. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (high up to 4 hours).
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have a recipe book for crock-pots that I simply love. It's FIX IT AND FORGET IT. There are hundreds of delicious and simple recipes in it. I recently bought copies for all my girls.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010