What is cream of tartar??

I found a new recipe online and it calls for cream of tartar. What is that?? And where can I buy it??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• "Cream of tartar is found in some baking powder, and is often used to help stabilize egg whites, or to produce creamy frostings and candy. If a cook is out of baking powder, he can substitute cream of tartar and baking soda, carefully, to mimic the action of baking powder, which is actually formed from these two compounds. However, homemade baking powder can pack a kick, so it should be substituted with great care. This is how most cooks made their baking powder before it became commercially available."

''Cream of tartar also has other household applications. It can be used to clean brass and copper cookware. It is also helpful in removing stains from sinks and bathtubs. Cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide can remove even the most stubborn rust stains, without scratching a delicate surface. Always test the solution in an inconspicuous area first, however, to ensure its suitability for use on that surface.''
    wisegeek.com
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have no idea what it is exactly but you buy it on the baking isle with the spices and what not.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Cream of tartar is the common name for potassium hydrogen tartrate, an acid salt that has a number of uses in cooking. Now, before you get all jittery about the thought of cooking with an acid, it's worth noting that lettuce, brown sugar, steak, plums, and just about every other food we eat is acidic. In fact, egg whites, baking soda, and milk are the only non-acidic (alkaline) foods we have.

Well, I looked it up and still don't know!! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You can find it in the spice section of any grocery store. The main thing I use it for is to add it to egg whites when making meringues. I've always kept it in my spice cabinet, but I have no idea what it is made of nor what its chemical properties might be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It's used to stabilize egg whites like in meringues and also helps prevent sugar from crystallizing when making frostings and stuff like that. It makes them fluffier. You can find it in the spice section. It's a white powder.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010