Why is it in our society that women have to be 'talked into' even ::trying:: breast feeding??

What is wrong with us? I am totally for a woman's right to use formula after all it is there to be used but why not even give it a try?? Doesn't every baby deserve for their mother to at ::least:: try? If you know breast milk is best and there ir no medical reason for you not to attempt it then why would you not?? It's not like you are locked into it if you attempt it just once or twice...
What has happened on our society to cause this? What can be done to fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is so so so easy now to just scoop and mix the powder for a bottle. That's what I think happened. The convienence of formula. Portable, no pain. For me...I tried for a week with each of my 2 and my milk never came in...at all. Both babies lost to much weight at their 1 week check up and the Dr. suggested I use formula or supplement until my milk came in...which is never did. I think it is important to at least do it for the first week while you have the colostrum...the very very important stuff. I agree...why not try? If you are blessed enough to be able to breastfeed...I don't see why you wouldn't!
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Because sex sells and this country views women and breasts as objects for men to ogle.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• There's more than medical reason that makes breast feeding not the right choice for some women. I don't plan on breastfeeding and I have my reasons. That does not make me a bad mother and anyone that says it does is just a heartless bitch. It's my choice.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 3:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I wish more people would try it because I think they would be surprised to find they enjoy it after all. I thought I would hate it. I ended up loving it and with my first had to stop at 3 months so I could go back to work. No one ever told me I could get a cheap used pump on ebay or that some mothers can successfully breast feed only when they are home... I was totally uninformed. I was so happy with my second that I had more options. For me it was some what society driven because I thought of my breast as sex toys and hated them to be touched so I assumed that having my babies mouth on them would be gross.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• she's right. Formula feeding is too easy. And with WIC and foodstamps it's free.
    I had to work hard to breastfeed my 3rd baby. I tried with #1 and gave up, no support and I had that bottle and can of formula in my house.
    Never even tried with #2. :(

now I am a CLC and love to see more mom's breastfeeding!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i guess for the same reasons nobody has to "atleast try" to justify their parenting decisions to everyone. if i dont want to *try* breastfeeding, it's no business of yours. for the record i did try with all three of mine, but i dont worry about other moms who dont try. it's none of my business nor anyone else's!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Never said it made anyone a bad mother. I said it was a society driven choice in a lot of cases. I think every capable mother should try. You truly have no idea if you will hate it or not until you try it. It is sad that so many babies don't even get the first drop of breast milk because our society has gotten so far away from it. I bet at least 1/2 of the women who decide to formula feed never even tried it once.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It isn;t a bad mother choice it is a uninformed society choice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not saying you said it but there are some that do. Just making a point :) And it's not about hating it. It just isn't something it will work out with me. There's lots of reasons that are okay.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 3:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I breastfed both of my kids, I didn't really see any other option, even though I absolutely hated nursing... And I still get hell from family because we had to supplement my oldest with formula. It was just "what is done" for me, I didn't really understand at that point that there was an actual option of formula on a full time measure... With this one we plan to do both, and again, I'm getting hell from them already. I don't see breast feeding or formula feeding as a big deal. I think those who formula feed get hell for their choice because "breast is best" and those who nurse get hell because it's "animalistic and disgusting" so there is no simple choice for many and both come with pros and cons... Plus, for many moms who are full time workers or student, breast isn't really an option, and I think we have more of those than some of these other countries do...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010