At what age should you start putting you toddler in a toddler bed?

My duaghter is 17 months old, she walks, and she can almost feed her self.

Ashley134

Asked by Ashley134 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah good age just get a gate for door
    Anonymous

• with my youngest i put him in a toddler bed at 18 months because he would shake his bed back and forth and tore the railing off! lol so hes 2 now and in a regular twin bed with no problems but with my oldest he was 2 and a half before he got his big boy bed! he hated the big boy bed but he finally accecpted it
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I would say that the change comes whenever you feel your child is ready for it. I had to get my son out of the crib really soon, b/c he learned to climb over the top and fell out a couple times. I can't remember the exact age, but I want to say it was shortly after he turned 1. My son also had one of the changable beds that went from a crib to a toddler bed. My daughter will be 19 mos in 3 days and she's still in her crib, and hasn't tried to climb out, but does shake it like a previous poster said, but hasn't broke anything yet. I had planned on getting her a toddler bed for Christmas.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I heard at about 3 1/2 years.....my daughter is way to young right now to sleep on a normal bed because she doesnt know.....she still sleeps in the crib
    Flordeliz20

Answer by Flordeliz20 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My dd is two. She'll take naps on her toddler bed, but won't sleep through the night on it. We're still working on it...........
    Anonymous

• It's not based on age. It's based on:
    Do you think she will stay put and sleep or will she be up "visiting" you all evening?
    Do you think she will stay in her room or will she be trying to open the front door to go play at 2am?
    Do you have the patience to do the "silent return to bed" thing all evening and several times during the night?
    How baby proof is her room for when she does get up and play?

In short - is she (and you) READY for a bed or does she still need to be confined?
    For my 27 month old, the answer is "confined". There is no harm in leaving a child in a crib. This is potential harm in moving a child too soon. It all depends on the child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My son started sleeping in a "big boy" bed at 2 -- but we used a single piece of bunk bet twin for his bed. It had side rails! Perfect for keeping a wanderer in bed. My daughter started sleeping in that bed by 18 months - her choice - she was just done with a crib and wanted to move.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My son is 2 and does really well. I tried a few months ago and he wouldn't have it.... so we did potty training and toddler bed at the same time
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• One
    AbbeyKAy

Answer by AbbeyKAy at 9:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• We have our son sleep in his crib during the night, and he naps in his toddler bed. I figured we'd get the toddler bed now, so that way, the transition will be very easy, and he doesn't wake up if we transfer him from our arms to the toddler bed, rather than trying to lift him into the crib.
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 11:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2008