Fort Hood remembers

FORT HOOD, Texas – Family members of the 13 people killed one year ago during a shooting rampage at Fort Hood kneeled, cried and ran their hands across their loved one's names etched in a 6-foot-tall granite memorial unveiled Friday at the Texas Army post.

Many families of the 12 soldiers and one civilian who died on Nov. 5, 2009, met each other for the first time at the anniversary memorial, hugging and weeping together.

"It was so emotional to be with the other families and to remember and honor our loved ones we lost on this day," said Leila Hunt Willingham, whose brother, Spc. Jason Dean "J.D." Hunt, was killed.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Army Secretary John McHugh presented awards to more than 50 soldiers and civilians whose actions "went above and beyond the call of duty." Capt. John Gaffaney, who was fatally shot after he threw a chair at the gunman, received an award posthumously.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband was stationed here so it hit close to home. My prayers go out to all the family members and that justice may be served.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 3:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• The best thing that could happen for those people is if they get that stupid trial over with and put that man to death.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Has it already been a year? Wow..time flies.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My husband and I were just talking about it this morning and about how fast a year has come and gone for us but for those families it must feel like an eternity has passed and to still be no closer to a court martial then a year ago probably makes it seem that much slower.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We're across the country stationed here in southeast, GA but I remember that day very well. I sat on my sofa watching the news broadcast and my heart broke for the people at Fort Hood and especially for the families who lost someone that day. I just hope that in this case the punishment fits the crime.
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 3:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I hope justice will be done, and give some small bit of peace to those who went through this.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• The crowd rose to its feet and applauded, and some cheered when medals were presented to Officer Kim Munley and Sgt. Mark Todd, the two civilian Fort Hood police officers who engaged in a gunbattle with the shooter, eventually wounding him. Munley was wounded by the gunman.

Todd said he thought about the shooting every day.

"It's not about us. It's about the families," Todd said after the ceremony. "You never know what can happen. You've just got to rely on training and pay attention to the little things."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My heart goes out to those families, what a horrible day that was. I know they will never be the same but I hope they find some justice in punishing the terrorist that did it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• One of the saddest things in this world right now is the radical terrorist ideology that overtakes so many people's minds and leads to senseless violence against the innocent. I'm sick of it!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2010