how do you know when a baby throws up?"`

my baby is almost four months old and i can't tell if he is throwing up or if he is just throwing up spit b/c of teething help wats going on i wanna help him if he is sick his temp was 99.5 this morning when i took it.

eliesmommy1989

Asked by eliesmommy1989 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Vomiting usually ends in tears and there is obvious heaving not just a little hiccup. If he was truly vomiting you would know. The fever could be from teething to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree with But Mommie - but I used to worry about not knowing also. I have to admit to never hearing babies throwing up from teething, I have heard of fever because my son always got a fever.. not saying its not possible just an FYI
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• my little one has reflux and the other night he seriously wanted to nurse all night well he ate too much and actually threw up for the first time..I learned the difference then..his throw up was like a waterfall coming from his mouth thats the best way to explain it..call the dr if you get concerned
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 5:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Spit up and vomit smells different. Vomit smell is very different. You'll know it!
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 7:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My daughter spit up a lot. When she finally did vomit, she would do that thing where she would sort of gag and then the vomit came and then she would continue to heave for a few seconds and it was always followed by crying. She could have cared less when she spit up. She would also dry heave after the bulk of her stomach contents were out.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• True vomiting in an infant is something out of the Exorcist, it is amazing how so much can come out of such a tiny body at one time. And go so far! My dd would projectile vomit 3 feet away, no joke. Vomiting is high volume, their eyes will water even if they aren't crying most of the time, they will gag and retch. It's basically just like if you were vomiting, only in a much smaller body. Spit up is rarely even noticed by the infant and is only a tablespoon or so at a time.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2010