Whats your take on used cribs??

When I found out I was pregnant I was so excited After 8 years of trying. But within my 8th week of pregnancy I started to bleed and thought I was losing my baby. Scared me pretty badly. Turned out I had multiple tears from the placenta to the uterus. Needless to say I got stuck on bed rest. No work, no money for things I wanted to buy new for the baby. To the point I am thinking on just borrowing or buying a second hand crib and wanted to know what other people think and find out what to look for to make sure I am getting as safe a crib as possible. I know that it needs to be fairly recent on the make for the bars to not be far apart other then that I am not to sure. Thanks in advance for the info.

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Check on recalls certainly, and inspect the crib for any damage. If it's a metal crib check for rust, loose bars, and that the bars won't easily bend or break off. For wood cribs check for any splintering or cracking. On any crib check bolts and other materials that hold the crib together for damage as well. The only thing that should be brand new is the mattress, there is nothing wrong with re-using cribs that are in good condition. My daughters used the same crib, though a new ones were bought for my twin boys because my girls did some serious damage to their crib and I didn't feel safe using it for either of the boys. Good Luck.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We only used a used crib. I never saw a reason to pay outlandish prices for the new ones when used ones are just as good... Just make sure you are looking them over and making sure they aren't broken or "rigged" in any way and you're good...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• well let me start off by saying congratz!!!!!!!!!! well nothing wrong with it as long as there cleaned and stirdy just get ur own crib mattress and ur all set and who no's after ur done with it u could be helping some one else out who is need of one too
    take care and good luck
    aliviasmom1170

Answer by aliviasmom1170 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I bought a new crib. I shouldve just got a used one. We sold our $500.00 crib for $85.00 on craigslist. Just find one that is a newer model.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Make sure that the crib you choose hasn't been recalled for any reason, other than that - there is no reason not to use a used crib. We never had a new one. In fact, the crib most used with my children - has bedded many infants in our family. My kids were numbers 3,4,5,and 6 out of 11 infants thus far.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It should never matter if it is used or not most of my stuff is second hand and that doesnt make it any less as good as brand new stuff just cheaper.. make sure when it is fully assembled it is not wobbly and if it is wood that the stain is not pealing off. no rusty metal parts but other than that i am sure your judgement will be great..
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We bought a new one when pregnant with our first because we knew we'd use it for the second. Also,it's a convertible crib, so it will be turned into either a toddler bed, or a full size bed when our daughter turns 2. However, I don't see anything wrong with buying a used one as long as it's clean and well taken care of.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010