What is Diwali?

I know it's an Indian holiday, but I don't know what it's about or what it celebrates.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 3:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Check out my home page/profile page. There is some Diwali info on there.. Diwali is the BIG holiday for us Hindus. But it is also an important holiday to Sikhs, Jains, and others. Over 1billion people in this world celebrate Diwali!!

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I looked this up this morning because I was wondering the same thing since CafeMom had it in their logo. Here is what I got from a website: The different religions have different stories attached to the festival. For Hindus, the festival marks the return of Lord Rama from 14 years of exile after slaying a demon. Jains commemorate the spiritual enlightenment of the sage who founded Jainism. And Sikhs celebrate the return of one of their gurus from freeing 52 imprisoned kings.

All the faiths light lamps, which symbolize the triumph of light over dark and good over evil. Celebrations throughout India will include fireworks and firecrackers. Sweets are exchanged as symbols of prosperity, and it's common to wear new clothes.
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/631388/What_is_Diwali

Refer to link....previous question a few under this one...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Ya I was wondering to. Thanks ladies for the info.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 8:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I was wondering too, thanks for the answers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010