My friend asked me to watch her dog while she's out of town.

I don't really like dogs, and this is a big dog, not well behaved. I don't want my furniture and carpet smelling like dog. She's a good friend, and she really doesn't seem to understand that other people don't feel the same way about animals that she does. How do I get out of this and keep her friendship?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 3:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• tell her that you aren't good with animals... not to trust you with the dog.. lol make it a joke.. tell her if she wants best care look for somewhere else.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Just tell her. I, personally, wouldn't want anyone watching my dogs who at least didn't like dogs.
    msm67

Answer by msm67 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would just tell her I could not do it....and maybe recommend a good boarding kennel. It this would ruin your friendship with her, then it's not going to last long anyhow.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Say no upfront. She may not realize you are not a dog person.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would just tell her no, that you are not really a dog person and that you wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Just tell her you appreciate the trust she is putting in to you but that you don't feel that you are the right person for that responsibility. If she pursues it just add that she should find someone who is a dog person. I will watch them but in their own home, not in mine. I don't mind going over to feed them and let them out but I'm not bringing them to my home!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would simply tell her that you value her friendship and are honored that she thought of you to watch her beloved dog, BUT you are not a dog person and it might be better if she found someone else to do-sit for her.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would ask to take care of the dog at her house...Go over for a little and play with him feed water let out. This way the dog is not in your home.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree with all the above...just tell her your feelings and that you can not do it.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh, and make sure you tell her in time for her to find someone else. We asked someone to watch ours and she waited 3 days before we were leaving to tell us she couldn't do it. Things worked out for the dogs but hubby hasn't spoke to her since (he has control issues).
    msm67

Answer by msm67 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010