Is it normal for a 2 yr old to get upset a lot?

I feel like my son freaks out too quickly if he doesn't get what he wants. and whines a lot too. Is this normal for a toddler? He knows how to fake cry now and when I say no he screams loudly. I wish he would calm down.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The terrible twos are for real. Two years old are full of curiosity. Trying to test the boundaries of the world. And the also get frustrated easily. Some two year olds are a little more sensitive than others. Our son (who is 3 1/2 now) tried the fake crying, too. We learned quickly what was real and what was not. Totally normal. And since he is two, what worked for us was limiting using the word no for more serious crimes (like something dangerous) and using redirection for fits.
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Welcome to the terriable 2's....Good Luck =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• YES YES YES, MY 2YR OLD GETS MAD ALL THE TIME ABOUT EVERYTHING. LOL HAVE FUN!!!
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 4:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i have a whiner soo yes the wind can blow and it is devistating but i quess that's what comes with the teritory of being a mom
    aliviasmom1170

Answer by aliviasmom1170 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• my son just turned 2 and yes this is normal!!! He is mad about everything and throws massive temper tantrums. I honestly ignore them and he gives up after a few min.
    mandar

Answer by mandar at 4:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes, it is normal.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• This is about the time a parent learns what parenting is all about. It's also the best time to teach that a child cannot have what he wants when he wants it, and it's also the best time to begin to teach about parental authority and who really runs the show at your house. Children have to be taught to hear the word "no" and accept it as being final. They also have to learn that when Mommy or Daddy tell them to do something, it is to be done without discussion, disgust, or delay. If you get this part right now, the rest of your time spent with your child in your home will be much more pleasant and peaceful. Children do not just grow out of this stage. Unless you get a handle on this now, you will be dealing with it when he is a teen, except as the years pass, the stakes get higher. It is best to handle it now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh yes, perfectly normal. At least I hope so! My son freaks out when a toy topples over, if I give him the "wrong" fork, etc. I'm always reassuring him that it's OK, try again, etc.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 6:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010