• In the Spotlight:

Can someone...

please come over and help me clean my kids rooms. LOL Sort/get rid of toys and stuff. Seriously my kids rooms have been out of control for months. My dd's share a small room in the begginning of summer I rearranged it for the millionth time and now everything fits great so no more rearranging. I did it by myself and they have lots of heavy furniture. So both them and my ss destroyed their room and his and for 3 months now its been like this. I refuse to fix it. I just got done redoing their toyroom due to water damage so no more toys should be in my girls room. But I want them to help clean the room and keep it clean. Whats a great motivator for kids besides force. We are also cleaning ss's room cause their toys were in there while toyroom was being fixed plus my holiday decor boxes. Once its cleaned I will use force to make all 3 keep it clean cause Im tired of crossing one thing off my list and then adding another.

mymestey

Asked by mymestey at 4:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Crank up the radio and tell them they arent doing anything this wkend until their rooms are clean but the good news is you will help them. Just get in there and help them get it done. Everyday ahve them tidy up so it doesnt get out of hand. I just start telln my dd to pick up all dirty clothes whil I make bed..etc and we get it done and dance thru it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• lol I would help =) I love organizing things...i know...im weird lol. But try an hour before bed its time to clean up not only themselves but their room as well. And if all of that is done they get a sticker. At the end of the week depending on how many stickers they have they either have icecream at home, or if they have a lot of them then they get to go out to DQ or something like that. Worked great for me as a kid lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Tell them they help, or lose their toys. That should motivate them. Seriously put your foot down and tell them that if they want to have nice things they must learn to take care of them. My son knows that there are places for his toys and that he is expected to keep his belongings neat and take care of what he has if he wants to keep them.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Mine help clean their rooms - not helping is not an option. Their rooms, their belongings, their mess - they clean it.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think the best way to help your situation is to sit your kids down and let them know that You will give them at least two day (Saturday & Sunday) to pick-up their rooms and by Monday if there is anything not picked-up then Mister Trash Bag will be coming after it. And if they're in School then that's even better because they won't know what hit them when they come in the door and see ALL their stuff(things) gone. - My friend did this to her son(with the exception) that after she bagged it up- she took it all to her parents house and put it in the attic) When he followed the rules he was allowed to earn back his belongings. But, if it got bad again- He not only lost them again. but this time she didn't take them to the parents attic but she took them to GOODWILL- She only gave him ONE time - Trust me - it only took ONE time - after that he was asking her what he could do for her. Good luck!
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 1:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2010