Would you give your child plain Ramen noodles for a meal?

I think occasionally is fine, but I know a girl who gives what she calls "beef noodles" (Ramen noodles) to her kids for dinner all the freakin' time. Is it just me, or is this lacking any nutritional value? Is this really any better than fast food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yeah, it's always sad when people just don't want to make an effort. My sister is like that. She will buy junk food instead of healthy food and got PISSED at my mom when she went with her EBT card and bought real dinner foods for her house (she had recently moved in with her) & was even cooking them! She said, & I quote, "It's just a watse of my money & your time because my kids weren't raised to eat that shit."
    Um, maybe if you had given it a fleeting chance from day one they would eat properly and be more open to new foods and nutritional foods?
    On a positive note, she has recently lost custody of her children to their dad and he has them eating SO much better! I am so proud of him and them! :)
    Heck, I work 5 days a week for 8 1/2 hours a day, get up 2 1/2 hours before work to get the kids dressed * off to school/daycare, then STILL come home & cook a healthy & nutritious/well balanced meal. And care for a 7 mth newborn!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• That's what I had for lunch! lol! Are they good for you? Nope. But neither is half the other stuff we put in our bodies... I don't think it's okay every day, but if she was baking a turkey every day I wouldn't think that was okay either. All things in moderation!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Since my son is a college student..

I will have to be honest and say.... I'm pretty sure he eats Ramen quite often.. lol.

But not just instant Ramen.. He loves going to traditional Ramen houses and eating.

Heck, I love eating at traditional Ramen houses myself.. mmmmm mmmmm ggoooooooddd!!! :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• sure , for lunch. You can add carrot sticks or an apple and there is nothing wrong with that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Do you know what's in her pantry and bank or EBT account? Maybe she can't afford anything more for them and is too embarrassed to say anything. Maybe she doesn't know how to cook very well or doesn't know much about nutrition. Maybe she just likes them and so do her children. Too many things left unknown to make an assumption.

I know I was raised on ramen noodles and pot pies because we were too poor and couldn't afford to buy too much with just my mom raising me. And the benefits she DID get weren't very much AT ALL.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• we've had to do that when we were really short on money and ramen noodles are super cheap... i think they are okay in moderation, especially if the seasoning packet isn't always used... we also use ramen noodles in stir-fry dishes with lots of veggies and meat... my 8-year old also loves raw ramen in the package and he'll eat that as a snack...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 5:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My kids love ramen noodles. I usually let them have it for snacks. I don't buy them often because then thats all they want to eat. No I don't think they are nutritional.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If she is adding the flavor packet and that's all she's feeding them....NASTY and extremely bad for them. But at least she is feeding them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If it's only what you got to eat then it has value, right??
    My kids love that stuff but I only buy about 6 to 10 packages a month so it is for a weekend lunch or they can split one for a snack afterschool.
    We have neighbors that send their kids out to play with the raw noodles in the package - leavimg the pkg outside, of course - now that is lazy parenting (she's a SAHM)
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 4:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would not feed anyone ramen noodles more than 1-2x a month if they're seasoned with the seasoning packet. That packet is SO disgustingly high in sodium. It's like a whole day's worth per SERVING!

I used to eat them a lot but a Japanese friend warned me that was why I was losing my hair.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010