Is 5 years too late to litter train a ferret?

My ferret is 5 years old now and we didn't litter train him because he always used the same corner of his cage as a bathroom and it was cleaned daily, even when he was out around the house he'd go back into his cage if he had to. However we recently moved into a larger home with a lot more space for him to play and I've been finding his pee and poop in corners and in front of the bathroom door. If possible I'd like to litter train him and keep a litter box on both floors of the house just in case since he's finally learned how to go up and down the stairs - he pretty much has full reign of the house when the kids are at school.

anon1986East

Asked by anon1986East at 4:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pets

• They pee/poop in corners to mark their territory. Let them pee in one corner, wipe up the pee with a paper towel, tear the paper towel in 3 pieces, and wipe the other corners slightly with the wet paper towel to "mark" those corners. Put a pee-soaked paper towel into the litter box to encourage them to go TO the litter box. Worked with our indoor rabbits! Make sure the litter box is in a corner! Good luck!
    CCMom123BetsyR

Answer by CCMom123BetsyR at 10:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, I don't think so. Ferrets are smart lil stinkers and they naturally go in corners anyway.

Just put a triangular litter pan in the corners where he tends to go most often. Praise and snuggle him when he uses the pan.

He'll catch on quick, especially if he likes treats and snuggles!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Thank you, I finally got an answer. He really loves treats - his food has treats mixed in with the pellets and he digs through his food to eat all the treats before the pellets. He's not much for snuggling though, he's always on the go but a new toy would make him happy - and would probably make the dog happy too since he insists on nipping at her hind legs to get her to play with him.
    anon1986East

Comment by anon1986East (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010