How do I get my son who will be four next week to poop in the toilet?

We have been working on potty training since he was two and very successful with him going pee but when it comes to pooping he would rather hold it in then go. I catch him standing in the corner or running to another room and he squeezes his butt cheeks together and eventually it pushes it's way out when there is not any room left. I have tried everything and i'm at a loss I don't know what to do.....Please help.........anyone...

REL1980

Asked by REL1980 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he give a reason why he doesn't want to go? I know just a different potty seat helped us, we went from a little potty which was the only thing he'd poop in , then a potty seat on our toilet then he started going in his pants again, turns out they were both "too hard" for him while pushing out so I bought a heavy cushioned toilet seat for him and he was so excited it was "so soft for his butt" that he started using it.
    Anonymous

• oops.. that was me - didn't mean to answer anon....
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Really my son was 4. They can be scared to poop in the toilet. We offered him a toy he wanted if he would poop in the potty. He did and got his toy.
    Anonymous

• be consistent take him often, allow him to wear underwear so he can feel when he dirty, & be patient every child is different don't punish him or make him feel bad because he is not trained.. my 7 yr did this but once she turned four she started going poo in the potty
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 4:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• He never gives a reason he just tells me he can't, but when he does go after usually sitting on the toilet for up to 30 mins sometimes he get's so excited and can't wait to flush the toilet and tell his poop bye lol i guess that is why i don't get it.......and why would he want to hold it in it seems to me it would be more of an effort to keep it in to let it out......
    REL1980

Comment by REL1980 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My daughter did this and I finally figured out that it was just because she didnt want to take the time to sit there...even though we tried everything from keeping toys in the bathroom to making everyone in the house stop what they were doing so she knew that she wasnt missing anything. She just plain out did not care if she had poop in her pants. Somewhere on Cafemom I had read about something called "poop jail" and at that point i was willing to try anything....basically you only do this when you know for a fact that they are ready, they know what they are supposed to do but just refuse. I told my daughter about poop jail and that if she did not go we were going to try it. The very first time I put her in the bathroom and threatened to put the gate up to make it jail she went. She said that she did not want to go to" jail"...she has gone ever since and that was almost a year ago. I know this method is not for everyone though
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• get a big poster board, stickers and daddy's involvement. the next time daddy has to poo have him get excited about it and announce excitedly that he has to go poo. when he is done, make sure son is there to see and give him a sticker to put on the poster board that is hung at your son's level. have daddy make a big deal over the sticker too. after a few times of this the little one should get jealous and hopefully do this himself. then every time he poos reward him with a sticker to put on the poster board. this works with cool toys to but that gets expensive after a while. the reward system worked with all 6 of my nieces and nephews for potty training, and teaching responsibility too. but the system lasted longer for potty training than it did for picking up toys. then we had to graduate to Popsicles and lollipops good luck
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have tried it all from putting toys in the bathroom, having a prize jar, candy, a potty chair, a potty seat on big toilet, you name it we have tried it and I do know he is ready but like foxracing said he is just like her daughter he just don't care if he stinks or has poop in his underwear. Someone mentioned putting him in underwear he has been in them for almost a year i would say cause he is a big three year old well almost four and he outgrew diapers and pull ups..... Poop jail is a new one tho i'll have to give that one a try.....
    REL1980

Comment by REL1980 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have tried the poster with stickers as well. I actually went out and bought a poster with it's own stickers that was just for potty training and he just didn't care about it.........
    REL1980

Comment by REL1980 (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Some moms here have said the 3 day method is really great. You can Google it and read about it online or even ask a specific question about it here. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2010