Does anyone else get really stressed out about decorating their home?

LOL I get super stressed trying decorate my house probably because I want it to look a certain way and I can't afford the things I want so I have to bargain hunt. Anyone else go through this?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes I used to be that way. The trick is to switch things around. Go to your bedrooms and your living room and see what you can swap around to make things look different. Also a cheap alternative is to simply buy a few different colored throw pillows, rugs, etc. Trust me, I used to be the queen of making ends meet. Another idea is to talk to your good friends or family members and see if they have anything you can trade around. Being able to afford new things is fun of course, but not as much fun as seeing what you can come up with from thrift stores!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh, I forgot to mention my mom is one of those people who change her colors every season, bathroom towels, rugs, etc. So, I always got her old stuff that way!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I have a whole bunch of throw pillows that I bought a couple months ago that I have decided I dont like anymore. lol I think I'm going to sell them on craigslist.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It stressed me so much I quit doing anything. I would love to get the energy to paint my walls again.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 4:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope, I love it. I also don't do an entire room at once. I wait until I see certain pieces and slowly transform the room.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No... I don't have a problem. I don't have money either but it's fun to see what you can make work with cast-offs and bargains.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope, I buy scented candles according to the season.. that's about all the decorating I do!
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope. I love decorating. I also get more satisfaction if I can do it really cheap!! I also will do it spur of the moment just to pick up my mood. I love changing things. If you sew you could buy some material (I always look in the clearance stuff, it's really cheap) and you could recover your throw pillows. You can make slip covers for them and just rotate them when you feel like a change and a gallon of paint is cheap at walmart.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No, I LOVE to decorate...and LOVE getting a bargain...whether it's a fixer upper piece or just a great deal!! You'd be amazed at what a can of paint can do to a worn/outdated piece of furniture! And how a painted stencil border can liven up a room. Or recovering a toss pillow with a fabric remnant!

You should check out the CM group "decorating on a dime" or HGTV's website for inexpensive design ideas!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Have you considered making new covers for your pillows so that you can keep them? I do that. I just find clearance fabric I like, or the $1 a yard stuff at Walmart and use that. I bet you could even do it if you don't sew! I paint or staing things to change the way they look too. Don't worry if you don't have a bunch of money to spend, you can always use what you have and make it work for very little if you just take a step back and imagine it a little different. I am going to see if I can change the way my kitchen chairs look very soon, by taking the one that we use the least (it has a crack in it) and sand it and stain the wood cherry instead of the oak that it is. I have wanted cherry chairs, but really don't have money set aside for new ones, so I'm going to try that. Keep your chin up!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2010