does an epidural really hurt you?

i have had three kids, with all three i have had an epidural.since then i have had some weird effects. like bruises on my spine that show up, pains in my lower back and i even had weird things happen with in labor. so my question is is an epidural really more dangerous then helpful. is natural labor harder? any help would be appreciated.

kirbysgirl

Asked by kirbysgirl at 1:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've had 3 of them and the last 2 had little or NO effect on me. I felt everything. IF I had another baby, I'd go natural. It's not worth the pain of getting the stupid thing to me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I've had four epidurals, and had bad side effects for 3 of them. Back pain 6 months after birth, weird sensations in my back and legs way after birth, stuff like that. Not to mention the pain of getting them in. IF I were to give birth again, I would like to try natural w/o an epidural. That's just me, though.
    Anonymous

• I had a spinal tap for my c-section. I wanted an epidural but I had to wait for the 2 bags of fluid to drip in through the iv before they would do it and then it was too late. My sons heart rate dropped and they were racing me down the hall for a c-section and I STILL hadnt gotten those 2 bags in LOL But being dilated to 8cm by the time they cut me open I can tell you the thought of an all natural childbirth scares the HELL out of me! I had nothing on board for pain and I honestly thought I was going to die. BUT I have had no side effects from the spinal and I didnt feel a thing (obviously) but that is a little different than an epi. The choice is yours. You can always try and if it gets to intense go for the epi, you have up until your dilated to 8cm I believe before it is too late
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I had one epidural, and my back was sore there for about 2 months, and itchy for about a month. That's it so far, and my ds is 4 1/2 months old.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I had an epidural and had no side effects. The doctor had it in before I even realized it. He was very skilled. I would try again without meds but if I had the bp problems like I did with my son I would get an epidural again. I did not want a C section and that epidural kept my pain down which kept my blood pressure down so I would not have surgery. We are lucky to live in a time where women have so many options when they give birth.

Anonymous

• My epi was nice, no pain at all. But I think that had I been prepared with my breathing a drug free birth would have been easy. I got the epi at 7cm dialted because I was pushing with no control and needed to stop the urge, the pain was nothing I didn't expect or couldn't handle and I had back labor for almost two days, but it was no big deal I don't understand why women complain about the pain of childbirth. Next time DH and I are going to take our prepared childbirth breathing more seriously. I thought he had been through it before with SS's birth, but after the fact I realized that the only thing natrual about that birth was that it was vaginal, bc SS's mom was drugged and induced for everything, so DH had never really experienced a "natural" birth.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I have had both an epidural and a spinal block (not a spinal tap, as a previous poster called it, that's when they remove fluid from your spine...)

Anyways they are pretty much the same only the epidural is constant iv going in, where as the spinal is one shot, and it doesn't last as long as the epidural. I have had numerous issues with my back since my epidural, my lower back cannot even be massaged as I feel like someone is stabbing me, so I also wonder if the benefits are really worth the risk. Since I ended up having both my children via c-section, I am sure it's risks are worth it,; via natural I guess it depends on if you know what problems you may face, and whether or not you really want to deal with them down the road. GL!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 2:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I had an epidurral with my youngest, but not my oldest. Natural labor may be a little harder, in the end, when you take recovery into consideration, natural is easier.
    Anonymous

• I had an epidural and the only problem I had was slight back pain for a couple days after.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 2:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• There are risks and benefits to an epidural. It comes down to informed consent. I had one epidural that was fine (at 8.5 cm after 26 hours of recorded labor with membranes ruptured naturally) because of fever going up, heart decels, blah blah. My 2nd epidural was for a surgery and left me with neurological damage, a spinal fluid leak, a host of other problems. For the record, I chose both epidurals because they seemed the lesser risk, the first over a c-section, the second over general anesthetic. I am ok with my decision because it seemed the best choice with the information I had at the time. Now I would NEVER have another one.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008