breastfeeding babies with teeth!

my daughter just turned 7 months old< and i would really like to nurse her to 12 months but she has 2 bottom teeth,has had them almost a month but now is starting to bite me to the point im bleeding,not sure what to do! im triing to pump as much as i can to just give her bottles instead but cant keep up with how much she drinks..any ideas?

brooke4510

Asked by brooke4510 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never breast fed, but ouch!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Biting usually signifies being done with a nursing session. Or sometimes they are just having an itch to bite. I nursed my little guy through until 18 months old. I have been bit more than once, but probably less than 7 times. The best advice I had seen was from Kellymom.com at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html Good luck to you! Teething does not have to signify the end of your breastfeeding bond.
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Breast feeding for me was a fairly quiet bonding moment. When my son started biting with teeth I would literally yell out "ouch" in a high pitch tone. It startled him the first few times to the point of crying and I would just explain (even though he couldn't understand) that it had hurt me and I would say "no biting" within a handful of times of doing that he stopped. good luck!!! It's tough but we made it to 12 months.
    kikiandrob

Answer by kikiandrob at 4:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My mom told me when baby bites take it away. I did this with my son even before he had teeth (when he'd Gum me) and he never bit and quit gumming me in about 2 days. I also did this with my daughter, she now has 1 tooth and she makes me REALLY nervous...she has never bit but I watch her close cause she just has this look in her eyes like she's ready to bite! =o)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 4:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• she has only been biting me for the past few days,but not sure i can handle much more of it, i really don;t want to stop! she is biting me all throughout the feeding, at first i thought it was because she was done and she was just playing or whatever but man oh man OUCH!!!!
    brooke4510

Comment by brooke4510 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yeah, I agree with FLAngel.. if she's biting then she's not hungry so I'd stop the session. I nursed 4 kids and I think every one tried the biting thing once. I tapped their nose or cheek and said "NO" the first time they did it and I don't think they ever tried it again.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i've nursed 3 babies with teeth and have been bit by each of them... usually a loud "NO" and taking them off the breast will stop it from happening... my daughter would bite when she was done with nursing or when i wasn't paying attention by watching tv or reading... she's now 28 months and still breastfeeding...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 4:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree with FlAngel. My little one is 13mo, has 8 teeth, getting in 2 more, and has bitten me a couple times, but really they weren't even bites, just rubbing teeth against me... which is tender I know... she has never bitten me hard, but the few times she barely teethed me, I said ouch, pulled away and she stopped. I then said easy baby, and would let her eat again. She has cried the few times she has done this. And I think she understands. No need to be mad, but you have to tell them they can't do that, and by taking yourself away for a minute, they realize if they bite, they can't eat... and nursing is a huge comfort. Don't let this stop you....
    angelmama081007

Answer by angelmama081007 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• While nursing, the baby's tongue covers the bottom teeth. Only when done nursing can the baby bite you without biting him/herself.

I told mine "Ouch! That hurts Mama!" and ended the nursing session. Both got the point very quickly and stopped biting after 2-3 times.

Getting teeth is no reason to end a nursing relationship. It's an opportunity to TEACH your kids how to treat you. And yes they can learn at an early age......5-6 months is not too early.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 4:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My daughter is 8 Months and has 7 teeth I feel your pain! All the advice from the other ladies is great!
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 6:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010