• In the Spotlight:

do you know how much the bailout was?

just now i saw some footage of gov. schwartzeneggar speaking at a rally for mccain. he said that with what obama has raised he could have paid for the bailout.
uh, the bailout was 700 BILLION not million. obama hasn't raised billions of dollars, he's raised millions. he couldn't come close to paying the bailout.
i've heard other representatives for the mccain campaign saying the same thing. are they confused about the real cost of the bailout or are they lying?
what do you think???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you ladies.
    I agree, that is just sad... sad that anyone in an official position could make such a incorrect statement, sad that they would expect the public to swallow it, and sad that anyone would swallow it.
    While I agree that the nearly $700 million Obama has spent and the $70 million McCain has spent could have been put to far better, far more productive uses - they certainly couldn't have bailed out the banks or paid off everyone's mortgage.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Think they are lying and trying to take advantage of the ignorance of people who don't do their own research.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• amydh, i agree!
    i think they're banking on people at their rallies not knowing the true amount.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I haven't heard this anyplace but here, in anonymous posts. Can you give me link to the news footage? If lots of officials are making this claim, the footage will be all over the internet. Any links?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Oh and I have searched myself. All I can find is a couple of "talking head" news reporters saying that they think a better use of all the money Obama has raised is to bailout the economy. "bailout" with a small "b". This is far different than saying the money he raised could be used to pay for the Bailout with a big "B".

Do you have any links to anyone - even if it's not Arnold - saying the money could pay for the Bailout?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• i'm trying to find a clip of the entire speech at his ohio rally. i also saw this on msnbc this morning.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• "If Sen. Obama had taken all of that money he has spent on TV ads, he could have bailed out the banks, paid off everyone's mortgages and saved taxpayers a ton of money," Schwarzenegger said. "I think there will be a backlash against all of this lopsided spending. I think Americans on Tuesday will say our democracy is not for sale."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-arnold1-2008nov01,0,3927741.story
    Anonymous

• do you know how much the bailout was? Yes it cost  the integrity of doing the right thing, hard as it may have been, but much better than rewarding greedy behavior. So in my opinion what this crappy bail out cost is much more than ,and much more important than 700 billion pieces of paper.  Oh well, what's done is done.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 4:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2008