My dog has started to develop total separation anxiety when I leave for more than a few minutes. She is just over a year old for the last 6 months I have been out of work and at home. Recently I started teaching for a few hours a week and she flips when I leave. Anybody have any ideas on how to help her through me being gone?

scurnes

Asked by scurnes at 4:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Is it a shih tzu?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Boston Terrier
    scurnes

Comment by scurnes (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• leave the tv on and you can buy rescue remedy at the health food store. It is kind of an herbal remedy for anixiety. It helped my dog alot to leave the tv on though.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Try to alleviate the boredom. Leave the tv or radio on so she hears voices. Give her a Kong ball filled with treats, that will keep her occupied for HOURS. Take her for a long walk right before you leave, so she's nice and tired.... Personally, my dog Oscar had really bad separation anxiety as a puppy too. I actually ended up adopting another dog from the SPCA to keep him company. I'm a firm believer in not having "single" pets, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Make sure she has enough to entertain her, she's gone to the bathroom, and has enough to eat/drink before you leave.

I would suggest training her. With that I mean leaving the house and sitting outside for say .. five minutes and then coming back in. When you greet her rub her head, smile, say "Hi, [insert name]" in a cheery and happy voice" and then walk away. Don't baby her or give her more attention then she needs. Then later on that day go somewhere else for a longer period of time. Come back and do the same thing. Make sure not to make a big deal out of leaving. Rub her head, tell her goodbye, and leave. That's it. Come back, give her a good hello, and go about your business. It's all about teaching her that you will be coming back and she can count on you to always be there for her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Crate train the dog and she will feel more secure when you are gone.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Tire her out before you leave with a walk or exercise session, leave the t.v. or radio on for "noise," and leave something tasty to snack on (like a hollow bone filled with peanut butter). She'll wear herself out licking, be tired from the previous activity with you, and get lulled to sleep by the "noise" .. Good luck!
    CCMom123BetsyR

Answer by CCMom123BetsyR at 10:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2010