Can I switch car seats yet?

My daughter is 6 months old and weighs about 17lbs. Shes in an infant seat right now and at the end of it, her feet and just about touching the back of seat in car. I want whats safiest for her so im kinda nervous to change over the carseat. any ideas on what the best age is and just some advise. Thanks

BabyGirl5808

Asked by BabyGirl5808 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Look for a 3 in 1 convertible seat. They go from rear facing (as low as 5 lb) to forward facing, and to booster seat. Mine goes up to 80 lbs but I've seen them go up to 100.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• 1 year old and 20 pounds is when you are able to get them into a new front facing seat. They still even recommend that you keep them facing back as long as possible
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 1:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• You can get a convertible seat but her feet will still touch the rear seat back. It's OK for her feet to touch.
    Remember: they MUST be rear facing until they are BOTH 20 pounds and 1 year old. A 25 pound 9 month old baby still must be rear facing. A 18 pound 16 month old still must be rear facing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Put her in a rear facing convertible seat. It is just as safe as the infant seat (safer if she is getting too long for the infant seat!) I never used the infant seats, I put both my newborns in a Britax convertible because they were a lot more stable than the infant ones. (rear facing of course!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• You can put her into a convertible at any point from birth on, as long as she is RF. It's best IMO to get one that RF to 35 lbs, and has a high FF harness weight limit. I've heard bad things about the 3 in 1's that another poster mentioned.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• kaycee14 said it! it's the law. but even after baby reaches the legal age & weight, rear facing is still best. no child's legs have ever been damaged by an accident while rear facing. even if such injury were to happen, it'd beat the hell out of a broken neck. go to youtube & check out their crash test videos for rear vs forward facing. that'll be all the convincing you need. there's no need for a new carseat now. but i did notice my daughter was happier in her rear facing convertible. it rear faces til 33lbs & forward faces til 4ft3in or 80lbs. it's a sunshine kids radian80
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2008