Does breast-feeding make you lose weight?

All this talk about mommy-milk made me ask

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I formula fed and was back in my skinny jeans two weeks after my son was born. My sister breast fed and it took her about a year to lose the baby weight. Every woman's body is different. When I was pregnant I did not eat a ton of food I realized my baby was very tiny and did not eat like my sister did. She ate like she was carrying two linebackers. So I only gained 30lbs she gained 80 lbs. I only had 4 lbs to lose when I left the hospital she had a lot more. Eat healthy and sensible while pregnant and you won't have that much to lose after delivery no matter if you breast feed or not.

Anonymous

• I believe it helps. I breastfed my first four children, and didn't my fifth. I noticed a difference. Don't think you won't have to work out because you are breastfeeding. You will you just have a little help because of the breastfeeding.
    Jjwebb

Answer by Jjwebb at 1:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• personally, I think it depends on the woman. For me, it didn't -- I lost weight AFTER I was done breastfeeding. But I've heard of some moms say it does. And of course, it says it in all the baby books and things you look up online. I also remember seeing in an interview with SJP that she said the exact same thing as me -- it didn't help her lose weight -- it happened AFTER.
    Anonymous

• Some women do, I unfortunantly was not one of those women. With all 4 of mine I lost some in the beginning, and then I maintained until at least 6 months after I was done nursing. My body just held onto everything and wouldn't let me loose anything
    crazymomof42006

Answer by crazymomof42006 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It can help because it burns calories to make milk. It doesn't work for everyone though.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It helped me lose quite a bit in the beginning. Since then, my weight has sort of maintained. I am not losing and I am not gaining. I have more weight to lose, and I am still BFing. It does help burn calories and does help for many women. It helped me, but I still have to do some of the work myself.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm hoping and praying I'll be one of the lucky ones that loses weight by breastfeeding xP I haven't gained practically any weight during my pregnancy, but I'm overweight to begin with and it would be nice to shed a couple pounds.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Breast feeding burns calories. So, it does help in the weight loss area. However, a healthy diet and exercise are best!  Breast feeding alone will not shed the pounds!

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008