Short on cash, would it be okay to switch to whole milk at 10.5 months old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You really should wait til 12 months at least. Babies need all the vitamins found in formula for the full 12 months. Is there anyone who can help you out? Maybe WIC?
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nope, babies need the nutrients and fat in formula until their 1st birthday at least. Call your docs office to see if they have any samples. Also check local food banks and call your wic office.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• at 10.5 months they still really need the nutrients that formula offers vs. cows milk. Their tummy's arent able to break down some of the fats and stuff that cows milk has as easy as when they are older and it may cause him a lot of problems digesting it. If it were me I would purchase the store brand of formula since it is cheaper and skimp on my own food rather than the baby's. You can try to conserve the formula by feeding him more foods and less bottles but I think it would be better to still only give him formula rather than cows milk. If you need help getting formula call around to your local food banks to see if they have any available.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Borrow some $$$. WIC isn't gonna provide enough for a baby, they just help out. I think they tell you that too.

I was at WIC one day and some guy came in there pissed off cuz they didn't have any formula left, and kept complaining to the people working there. Tellin them they need ot provide for the baby and all this. I got angry.
    Anonymous

• Such a sudden switch would be hard on babies system, I would think. I would say not the best idea.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If money is tight by the time you run out of your WIC, I suggest picking up the BIG tub of Parent's Choice formula at Wal mart. It's like $13 and the tub is HUGE. That is what we used to do with my son and it always lasted until my next WIC checks could be used. Even at the beginning of the month when you have plenty of formula, pick up one of those to prepare yourself. There's no way WIC can cover enough formula to get you through an entire month, but it sure is helpful
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Not recommended at all!!!
    Better to wait til atleast 12 months.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i have wic, but they dont give enough cans a month for the amount my baby eats
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Call your local food banks, churches, or tell your case manager, your baby really needs to stay on the formula.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• While I do recommend staying on formula, if you absolutely have no other choice, give baby whole milk until you can get your next can of WIC formula (or until you can afford to buy more).
    Then, in order to avoid this happening again next month, feed him 90% formula, and 10% whole milk (my dr. recommended this with my DD, it was 90% breast milk and 10% whole, at ten months to help her transition to whole milk).
    Anonymous