Has anyone ever had an issue with their child's teacher?

I'm on the verge of going to the school and demanding a meeting between the principal, the teacher and myself and the problem isn't with my kids - it's my nephew. My sister is worried about the teacher taking out any anger about reporting her poor teaching skills out on her son but if nothing is said nothing will be done about it. My nephew is 9 years old and in 4th grade, he has memory issues due to a bad infection/fever when he was a toddler and sometimes he forgets his assignment book at school or will forget to have his mom sign it and unless instructions for homework are written down for him he will forget exactly what to do on anything that isn't just question and answer papers. He gets detention for forgetting these things and yet the teacher forgets to send things home several times a week, for several weeks in a row and she is aware of his memory problems - my sis even brought in the doctor's report to prove it.

anon1986East

Asked by anon1986East at 5:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• When my son was in 2nd grade he had a brand new to the state teacher, and possibly her first year teaching too, I don't remember that clearly. I did have a problem. She gave the spelling word "themself" and "mispell" and tried to teach them that Neil Armstrong said "One giant step for man, one giant step for mankind". Oh yeah, I had a problem. I tried to talk to her about the spelling words, I taught my son "one giant leap for mankind" and I ended up in the principal's office at the end of the year because THEY called ME: my son didn't do well on the "Pre" standardized test they would be taking in 3rd grade. The teacher had NOT taught them to "fill in the little circles"!!!!!!! BLLLLLLAAAAAAAHHHHHH
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i am a teacher myself and i know almost all of the attitude of a teacher here in our place...it's a sad thing you have now and it is your right to ask about it...you also need to support your nephew...
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• If memory is an issue, then she needs to see about getting an IEP. It might also benefit him if he learns some sort of system to help him remember and it might be useful to try to get him into some sort of system now. You don't want him to get out of school into the workforce and not know any way to cope. A boss isn't going to want to here from his mother.

Maybe put post it notes around for him to remind himself of what needs to be done.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i'd set up a meeting the teacher 1st. develop a plan of action of how things will be handled over a set period of time (say 2wks?). at the end of 2 wks if the problem is not on it's way to being resolved i'd request a meeting with the school counselor and teacher and go from there.

is the teacher aware of these issues? not just that he's forgetful (all 4th graders are forgetful) but that he has a medical reason for being such. 4th is generally the that the children are expected to to do more for themselves and be more independent with less direction from teacher and parents.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• He needs an IEP. You cannot be the one to go into the school as you are not his legal guardian, but you need to kick your sister in the bum and get her to champion for son or he's going to be left behind.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Yes, the teacher is aware that his memory issues are due to a medical condition. My sister informed the teacher and principal of that. What irritates me is that my nephew gets punished for being forgetful but the teacher can forget her obligations as the teacher and nothing is done about it. His short term memory is bad but most of the time he is fine and forgets only minor things which is why he writes everything down but when the teacher doesn't hand out necessary instructions or forgets to send other things home - such as function tickets that my sis or her hubby paid for, or school photos - there isn't much my nephew can do about it, those things aren't his fault.
    anon1986East

Comment by anon1986East (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If he has a medical condition he needs an IEP (individualized educational program) If he does not have one your sister should request one they can not turn you down for this evaluation and hopefully he will get the help he needs.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• As the others have said, an IEP is a must. My autistic son has become so much better through extensive therapy that I let them drop his IEP. Biggest mistake I've made. Now I'm back to jumping through hoops, getting doctor's signatures, and playing the testing game. It is well worth the initial set-up, and will help keep the staff at school who he spends 1/3 of his day with accountable for "remembering" his needs.
    Artist_On_Leave

Answer by Artist_On_Leave at 6:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Your sister needs to meet with the teacher, principal, and you if she needs you to support her. Help her make it happen soon
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree, with an IEP your nephew could have someone at school work with him and not have his teacher (who is more than likely overworked already) try to keep up with things for him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2010