If you were pregnant and knew that you'd probably be needing WIC to feed your child...

Wouldn't it seem more intelligent to breastfeed your baby? As I've seen on here and within my own family,the women are complaining that WIC isn't giving them enough to feed the baby. The way I see it,boobie milk is almost free! I don't know about other ladies,but in my cousin's case,she was just too lazy to breastfeed. She's too busy getting drunk 5 days out of 7. I figure if you're unable to buy formula,you should be nursing.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• ooooh..not saying this is typical of all who receive WIC, because it isn't..but maybe the answer to your query lies within the confines of what my dh calls 'welfare mentality'. there are some who, knowing they will get WIC or other PA, will completely rely on it (and whatever else they receive) rather than provide what they can. kind of a 'gimme all i can get, because i need/deserve it'.
    i know that sounds terrible, but i believe there is some truth to it.

also, what josie said.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My kids were formula fed, but I agree that it doesn't make sense to whine about not getting enough formula if you are capable of breastfeeding. WIC is supposed to be a supplemental program anyway; it is meant to help, not to provide 100%.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• no obbydobbie...my ds couldn't latch on bc of an underdeveloped soft palate, yes i could have gotten him unneeded surgery so he could breast feed or i could give him a bottle he actually could latch on to....let's see....get my baby's face cut open so he could have breastmilk or give him a bottle?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• The people complaining that WIC doesn't give them enough formula- Is wrong. They tell you "it's not enough to feed the baby, you still need to buy it too" I personally didn't breast feed it just didn't work for me. I was on WIC, I really didn't have to buy that much, maybe 3 cans a month when my child got old enough to eat food. I think maybe some people just use formula to feed a baby old enough to eat cereal/baby food. Then they complain they don't have enough formula, kinda like it's just easier.

IMO.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• No..What WIC gave me was ALWAYS enough...I have seen people just pour and pour formula into babies and the wonder WHY they dont have any left.I also knew that IF i did run out I would need money to go buy my own can before I ran out.(I guess im just smart like that)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I should add that I'm sure there are some moms who don't know they will need WIC until after their baby is born, and/or after their milk is already gone. But it is still ridiculous to expect WIC to cover everything when the program makes it clear that it is supplemental only.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• some mothers can't breast feed, or the baby can't latch on..no matter how hard you try or how many consultants you see
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• WIC or no WIC, I wish more women would at least give breastfeeding a shot. We spend so much time and energy trying to do what's best for our kids, and this is one of the most important things we can do to help their long term health. (Yes, I realize it's not for everyone, and there are circumstances, etc) Especially if you're in a situation where you qualify for WIC (as I was when I was pregnant), it's definitely a whole lot cheaper and much more portable than any formula.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Obby dobbie, "I am so fucking sick of women pulling the "I can't produce enough milk/can't breastfeed" card!!! Less than 2% of the ENTIRE WORLD POPULATION are unable to breast feed... these women are uninformed, lazy, and are looking for excuses."

First of all that statistic only includes women who don't make enough milk to breastfeed. It doesn't include the many other reason women can't breastfeed. Until you've walked a mile in the shoes of those "lazy" women you need to shut up. Judgmental, ignorant statements like yours are what make people think all of who breastfeed have a superiority complex.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• of course, i hate it too. i wish WIC wouldn't buy these women formula unless they had proof from the dr. that they cannot breastfeed.

**********

And exactly how would a doctor be able to verify that a woman can't breastfeed? Milk the woman's breasts to see what comes out?

How about WIC refuse to give breastfeeding moms any sort of food packages unless THEY get their milk tested for drugs and alcohol each month?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010