Should I add his name to the birth certificate?

Earlier this year the state found my son's bio dad and had the praternity test done, which is standard when collecting child support. Of course, he's the dad but my question is should I add his name to the b/c? My son is 3 and has never met his bio dad. The bio dad has no contact with us and has no desire to meet him. I am now married and my son calls DH dad. He'll most likely be adopting him in the near future so I'm just pondering that thought about adding the bio dad's name.

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• If your husband plans on adopting him, I would wait and just add your husband's name to the birth certificate seeing as how your x doesn't want anything to do with him. However, just know that your x will not be responsible for paying child support if your DH adopts him bc he is then the responsible party legally. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Agree w/previous poster. Plus it costs money (in my county anyway) to add a name to a birth certificate after.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nah, I wouldn't. I don't have my first daughter's father on her BC and it makes things easier for me. I don't get child support, but my husband and I can more than afford our children so it's nothing I need to worry about. My hubby is 'dad' to my daughter as well, and her sperm donor has nothing to do with her.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't add it at all. Plus there are some things, like getting a passport, that cannot be done for someone under 18 unless both parents that are on the bc sign for it. If you have no contact with him, it may make things like that difficult if you put him on.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I agree with everyone else.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2010