biting

HELP my 17 month old keeps biting his 6 year old brother!! I dont know how to break him of this!! he doesnt bite me or dad just brother and sometimes the neighbor kids that are 6 and 4. does anybody have and advice on how to get him to stop??

kcangel3303

Asked by kcangel3303 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Firmly tell him: "No biting." Then put him in time out for one minute or so (one minute per every year of the child). Try not to have a big reaction because he may think that it is fun and continue doing it. Also, could it be that he has some more teeth breaking through. In which case, trying giving him his favorite cold teethers to ease the pain. Good luck, and I hope that he stops his biting soon.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 10:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• bite him back. the only way he's gonna learn that it hurts when getting bit, is to make him feel it. This worked for my son and all my nieces and nephews. Obviously don't bite hard enough to draw blood or anything-just hard enough to let him know it hurts. I only had to bite my son once and he never bite me again.
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 12:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2010