What the hell??

My boyfriend and I broke up today over me wanting to get a sugar glider. "it's me or the animal" he said. I got pissed because he tried to tell me how to spend my money. Then he tried to thresten me by saying if I get the sugar glider I could forget about him. I told him "if this the way you are... I dont need you." He said "then break up with me then"... I said okay it's done and hung up the phone... What the hell just happened???

Shanti0327

Asked by Shanti0327 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Do you live with him? If you don't live with him then why would he get a say in what pets you have? If you do live together then the two of you should decide together when and what pets to get. Also, people shouldn't say things out of anger that they aren't willing to back up later-if you didn't want to break up with him then you shouldn't have said that you don't want to be with him or agreed to break up with him when you were upset. This may not be one of those times but there will be times in life when you will say things that you just can't take back.
    P.S. I think sugar gliders are cute and fun pets!! Plus the aren't smelly and don't take up too much room!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• sounds like he was looking for an excuse any excuse to brake up but wasn't man enough to do it so he had you brake up with him. Sugar glides are sooooo cute (fyi also called sugar bears)

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 6:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Sounds like you were both over reacting and said a bunch of stuff in the heat of the moment.... Personally, if you live together, I think he SHOULD have a say in whether or not to get a pet, ANY pet. If you don't live together, and he's still trying to dictate what you should or should not get, then he's just overly controlling, and you should consider yourself better off without him.

If you don't want to break up, call him and apologize for snapping at him. Yes, I know he did the same, but that doesn't mean you can't be the bigger person, at least to get the conversation started.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• omg they are so cute i just looked it up on yahoo.....forget about him if he is trying to control you now...what will he be like later!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Frankly, I'd take the man over the "sugar glider."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• northcarolinama like she said maybe he was just looking for an excuse but if you really like this guy just talk to him about it. Call him and do it. See whats going on. If he still acts wired and stuff it might was just an excuse to break up.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Have you really thought about the care and effort that goes into a sugar glider? Maybe that's why he doesn't want you to get one? Sugar gliders are hard work! They're exotic animals, and they require a lot more care, time, etc. than a dog or a cat would. I'm not trying to talk you out of one, but here's a link I'd like you to look at: http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?PetDrawbacks

Perhaps he is concerned you'll get attached to it, and not be able to care for it?

Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Looks like he was looking for an excuse. Let it (and him) go and enjoy the critter !!

I had something similar with my first finance when I was just out of high school - he said "no" to me wanting to have dogs (claimed he was "allergic"). I told him well, this was my dream and if he was definite on the "no" then see ya. Funny, now that we are older and have gotten back in touch thanks to Facebook, wouldn't you know it, he has cats of all things (guess the "allergy" went away) !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• idk..wth's sugar glider?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Sounds like you had a fight and didn't really break up. Just got mad and said hateful things. What is a sugar glider?
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010