Its a nightmere twice a day with my 15 month old when it's time to brush teeth...

Before when he barely had any teeth brushing teeth was fun. I don't know what happened!! Now he's got 15 teeth and we MUST brush but he absolutely fights me. I practically pry his mouth open to get the tooth brush in it. Why! and is there anyway to make this less challenging! I've tried songs, brushing while mommies brushing, and still he won't. Is it just a stage?

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 6:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried the spinning head toothbrush yet? My son loves the little vibrating feeling he gets in his mouth. I give him his Thomas the Train toothpaste and he brushes his teeth right next to me while I brush mine. Then I floss his teeth real quick with a flosser just to be sure we got everything (he loves that too, maybe my kid is just weird)... but it seems like as long as I'm doing what he's doing he likes it.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I'm not sure what they say nowadays but I never fought with my children at that age. I just limited foods and drinks with sugar and had them rinse their mouth out with water. By age 3 they began going to the dentist and brushing their teeth.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We had the same problem. No amount of distractions or even a spinning toothbrush helped. I even asked the pediatrician for advice. She pretty much told me to go the brute force route if necessary. It was important to get them brushed (even though he doesn't have much sugar or juice.)After a couple of nights of laying him down and just pinning his arms with my legs, he figured out it wasn't worth it. Each night we try to get him to cooperate, if he does, we make a big deal about it. If he doesn't we just force it. Much as I hated to take this approach, we had no choice. We still have bad nights (he's now 3) but it definitely got better over time.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• By the way, you can get away with brushing only once a day at this age if needed at least until he gets more cooperative. The other thing our dentist recommended was giving him crackers (or similar foods) after sticky foods (even healthy things like raisins and other dried fruits). It helps clean the teeth a bit.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My DS goes through phases where he cooperates and then suddenly he'll start clamping his mouth shut and won't let me brush them. I guess it's just that he realized that he can refuse. Most of the time I can get him to cooperate, if he fights it, I try to make him laugh and then sneak the toothbrush in there. He's usually sitting in a high chair/booster seat for this. It helps that he likes the favor of the non-fluoride toothpaste too. I can usually convince him to let me have a turn and he gets a turn (or you could try the other way around), because at first he just wanted to do it himself. I also tried brushing our teeth together for a while too, and that helped some. It's probably just a phase, but keep trying. If he keeps fighting it, rinsing the mouth and certain foods like cheese can help offset the sugary, fruity stuff too. I also tried some books and the Yo Gabba Gabba episode about teeth to get him interested.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2010