What are your recommendations for food on a REALLY REALLY tight budget?

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 6:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can still eat healthy without having to buy ramen and hamburger helper, and maybe cheaper too. How much are we talking? I could feed a family of 4 3 healthy meals and 2 snacks a day for $50 a week if I had to. Breakfast: oatmeal or an egg with toast. Lunch: PB&honey or jelly sandwiches, dinner leftovers, spaghetti. Dinners: Bean soup with cornbread (buy the dried beans and make it yourself), chicken noodle soup (Homemade), chicken and dumplings, shepherd's pie, chicken pot pie, spaghetti. Snacks: homemade applesauce cake, homemade oatmeal muffins, peanut butter cookies. If you want any recipes, send me a message.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I spend roughly $50 a week for a family of 4....without hamburger helper, pasta and rice (i'm a diabetic and those foods are CRAP, as in way too many carbs for anyone).

We eat chicken, salmon, beef, ham, veggies and sides will be BROWN rice or small baked potatoes. I also visit local farmers markets
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• spaghetti....and hamburger helper
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Buy in bulk, vacuum pack and freeze meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. Can whatever you have the time and inclination to do.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• hamburger helper..ramen noodles, soup, chicken thighs
    lsa0919

Answer by lsa0919 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• well rice for example is rather less expensive and you can make it in different ways, rice and beans, risottos, milk rice. Dont buy french fries - buy potatoes and make them yourself.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Burritos! Tortillas, Beans, Cheese and Salsa. Bam.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Rice and beans, pasta, omelettes, tuna and egg salad sandwiches. Get meat when they mark it down for quick sale and freeze it. Most every grocery store also has the clearance rack where you can buy cheap discounted bread and things they need to sell fast due to the date.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Check your sale ads and find the cheapest meat you can. Canned veggies are cheaper than fresh or frozen (in our area). Spaghetti is super inexpensive and filling and can be made with little meat. Homemade goulash is also inexpensive (elbow macaroni, canned tomatoes, a little chopped onion and some seasoning). Breakfast for dinner is also inexpensive - eggs, homemade pancakes or biscuits and gravy.

Here are a couple of very low cost weekly menus as well...
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I would buy oatmeal and eggs, make my noodles and get chicken thighs for Chicken and Noodles, I would have more rice I would get ham hocks and make Bean & Ham soup, I would get those cheap little boxes of Muffin and corn bread mix. I would have PB&j sandwiches, jello is cheap and get some apple juice to make it healthier. I feed my family on about $50.00 a week but then I also garden and can and freeze foods too
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2010