My Dh handles all the bills and the money. I stay home with the kids, is it good Not to talk about money? or should we discuss money?

sunshine31

Asked by sunshine31 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• You should discuss everything about your family finances. Both people need to know what accounts, loans, etc the family has in case anything should happen to one of them. Also you should discuss any big item you want to save for and how to do it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You should absolutely be discussing money - it is your future at stake too.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I beleive everyone needs to know where they stand. What would happen if he dies heaven forbid and left you not knowing where you stand. I think you should work on everything together
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You should talk about your money with you DH. I made the mistake with allowing my husband to control all the money and bills because I felt like he was the one making the money so he should be one deciding where it went (I am a SAHM), but that was a HUGE mistake. My DH is not responsible enough to take care of this things and when I questioned what he paid and why bills were late and were money went it didnt make sense. I went through our finances and found that he spent thousands of dollars on nonsense and wasnt good at getting the bills paid on time. I now have control of the money and bills but we talk nearly daily about what was spent on what and what bills are needed to be paid and what spending limits we have, and we are in a much better place now.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It's never good to not know what's going on. I absolutely second what moms_angels1960 said.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• You should absolutely be informed of your financial affairs!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• i do ask him once a month how are things for us,
    sunshine31

Comment by sunshine31 (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I think you probably know that this isn't a good situation. You need to understand your financial situation, and be an equal partner in handling the money. I'm a fairly traditional wife, but my husband feels that the best way he can protect me is to make sure that I'm involved in the finances. I agree. There are parts that I handle because I'm home and it's easier, parts that he handles, but we discuss all of it so that neither of us is in the dark about it. If anything ever happened to either of us, we want the other one to be able to handle things without too much effort.

Like I said, my husband and I have a pretty traditional marriage, he's "the man", but because of that he feels it's his job to protect and take care of me, and he feels this is the best way to do that. He also respects me enough to work on this as partners.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• my dh handles everything also..i even work part time. I just give him some money every now and then..i ask about stuff when i see him on the computer...Usually i will say "whatcha paying".."do you need help with anything"..he will usually tell me when something is due and how much it is and i will give him the cash and tell him "go ahead and pay it"..just my way of being involved. I don't care to really know though. I just like to feel like i'm helping some. I think you should always discuss things that way you will know how much to spend, you will also know if your dh is stressed because of money...you can also try to figure out ways to help out by cutting cost, using coupons if needed, finding a side job..or whatever you need to do.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• we dont go out to eat, we dont take trips, and we don't spend lavishly. I know where the money goes. He has been on and off of Unemployment for a long time now. He just got hired in to chrysler after being a temp for a year.
    sunshine31

Comment by sunshine31 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2010