when and how did you learn to drive a car/truck/moving vehicle?

I was 17 and took driver's education in high school, but I never drove til I was 28 and moved out of state into a rural area! i was petrified at first and only shopped in the small town but then ventured further to nearby cities and then got a job where I used mapquest and now knwo my way ALL OVER the state and can navigate anywhere. Yet i still like to BE driven rather than drive, unless i have rocking alternative music blasting.

silverelf

Asked by silverelf at 7:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Travel

• I was about 15 when one of my friends that had their license talked me into learning how to drive. I was 16 when I started learning to drive a stick shift but waited until I was 18 to get my license so I didnt have to pay the $300 + to go thru drivers ed. I lived in a small town until I was almost 20 so I never really drove on the interstate or anything but then moved 2000 miles away from home and now I can go anywhere with my TomTom :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I was 10 when my mom started letting me drive on dirt roads. I was 18 when hubby taught me how to drive a stick.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My mom and dad taught me...sort of. Both of them screamed at me if I got over 35mph (even in 55mph zones, or higher), screamed if I passed a vehicle, etc. My mom yelled at me once because I scratched my nose to keep from sneezing. My dad wasn't as bad as she was. I really learned to drive (without being so nervous) when I was 17 and taking a driver's ed class at the college (I never took the in car part in high school because I dropped out of public schools). When I turned 18 a few months later (still without a license) and got married, I started driving my husband's car and that's where most of my driving experience came from in the first couple of years I was driving.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My mum taught me to drive when I was 13.. I got my license (hardship license) at 15.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• I was about 3 when my dad let me steer, 7 when my mom would let me shift for her, 12 when my mom let me start driving dirt roads by myself, 14 when she would let me take the car down the road on my own, 15 when I had driver's ed (passed with a 100) and 16 when I earned my license. I now put over 25,000 miles a year on my car (nobody drives it but me).
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• A BF taught me how to drive when I was 14. Of course I didn't get my license til I was 16.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• My stepfather taught me how to drive when I was 16. We did a couple of rounds in a park then he took me on the road.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 8:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I got my permit at 15 1/2, took lessons and practiced with my parents in the car. I took & passed my license test on my 16th birthday and learned to find my way around the Valley over the next year and a half, and LA during the 4 years after that. I always prefer to be in the driver's seat & am very confident about not getting lost :o)
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 2:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Learned to drive when I was 11-12. Did not drive my own car til I was 16 after I got my license.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My dad taught me at 15- I received my license at 16 and learned to drive a stick while in college. I drive a great deal and have driven in very busy towns all over the planet.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010