Is 5 too early to start showing signs of depression?

My 5 year old has been increasingly sad lately. She is usually a supe upbeat child.

She is becoming more aware of the fact that her bio-dad doesn't seem to care about her (I DO NOT under ANY circimstance EVER mention this fact to her). She asks why he doesn't come to see her, call her, write her, etc. All I can ever say is "because he lives very far away" (even though he is usually less than two hours away and makes trips everywhere else in the world BUT to see his daughter) or "he is very busy at work" or something. I'm not making excuses for him, but I really don't know WHAT to say to my baby to keep her from knowing the truth and that he is just a sorry piece of S**t. :(
Her grandma recently had to move to Florida also which has added to her sad behavior. But my great-grandmother didn't have anyone to care for her, so my mom went.

I have depression myself so this behavior scares me.

What should I do?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 7:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think this could be normal childhood stress, don't automatically jump to depression. Is there anything you could do to lift her spirits a little? Something which may make her forget everything? If you can maybe take her a on a day trip, just you and her, give her lots of attention and ask if there's anything that's bothering her...

If it continues obviously take her to a paediatrician, however try and lift her spirits a bit first - perhaps it's just a phase.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• It is not too young. Just be there for her, make sure she is getting plenty of sunshine and if you can - have her call and talk to her grandmother. If you and the grandmother have webcams - set up and do Skype chats once a week or so.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• People/Kids do get sad, with out being depressed. Her world has changed.

Answer by louise2 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• And if it continues I DO plan to speak to the pediatrician about it.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Oh and I have only noticed it in the past few weeks off and on, but more increasingly lately.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2010