Can a person have an addictive personality?Give personal stories or experience or people you know.

marcella3

Asked by marcella3 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Health

• addictive like they are prone to substances? Or a person that you just can't get enough of??
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yes. My dh (and his mother) have very addictive personalities. Whether it be pills, porn, video games. Once he finds something that "feels good" to him, he will become addicted to it, to the point of causing major problems in our marriage. So yes. People can have addictive personalities.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. Just as a history of cancer in your family can make you more prone to have cancer at some point in life, there are certain personality and neurological traits that can make you more prone to become addicted, whether it is a substance based addiction (drugs, alcohol, etc) or a behavioral addiction (gambling, eating disorders, etc). My husband's mom had an addictive personality, and it was a huge issue in her life. My husband on the other hand, does not. He can enjoy something without needing to have it all the time, unlike his mother. He walked away from cigarettes as easily as throwing away the pack he had and never getting another. This after 9 years of smoking. His mom would have smoked on her deathbed if the hospital would have allowed it.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Do You Have an Addictive Personality?

Some people have addictive personalities that make them more vulnerable to ... one area in which those with addictive personalities can improve is in ...
    www.drugrehabtreatment.com/addictive-personality.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• How do I overcome an addictive personality?

I would like your advice on how I can once and for all get rid of my addictive type personality. Do I have to spend many more years in therapy? ...
    www.queendom.com/advices/advice.htm?advice=278
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2008