What major medical issues have your children had?

Luckily both my children have been healthy most of their lives. I thank God for that all the time.
The last 18 months we have been dealing with DD's eye problem. She has had multiple surgeries and we still deal with dailey meds and patching.

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 7:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2010 in Health

• wow..this could be long...my DD will soon be 4 and she has pretty bad asthma that started around 6 months but wasnt officially diagnosed until she was about 2 so we have had multiple hospital stays from that and the meds that she is on cause her to have a week immune system. She is also severly allergic to nuts. And her newest medical issue is esotrophia she has had glasses for a year now but we are getting ready to start more aggressive treatment and may have to patch for a few hours a day, she may also have to get bifocals to help with her focusing issues.
    My son had been pretty healthy all of his life up until last year around this time he woke up and couldnt walk...long story...lots of testing,surgery,2 long hospital stays, extreme antibiotics and finally a pediatric rhuematologist diagnosed him with juvenile arthritis.
    With all of it we still feel lucky and thankful that everything is under control now.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• Nothing major really. He did have Breath holding spells as a baby. And I mean the medical condition, not, being a brat. LOL Those were scary. He would get stiff, turn grey, start posturing, his eyes would roll back in his head and he would not breath for quite a bit.

He had a vasovagal reaction to a shot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• We dealt with ear problems when my daughter was a baby. She got tubes put in at 10 months old. No ear problems since.
    She was diagnosed with kidney reflux when she was a little over a year old. Thank goodness, she has grown out of that. The tests for it were no fun. She also had to be put on a preventative antibiotic until she outgrew it. It was a pain to remember.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My son has had an eye problem since he was 10 months old. He started wearing glasses at that time. He's had surgeries and we have done the patching. Now apparently his brain does not use the right eye if the left eye is available. If the left eye is covered, it will use the right eye. No amount of patching has seemed to correct this.
    He also had to have one of his testicles removed at 14 months old as it was nothing but dead tissue and they were concerned that it could become cancerous.
    He has severe allergies and is on daily meds for that.
    He has eczema.
    Even though we brush his teeth twice a day, he has weak tooth enamel and gets cavities very easy.
    He has autism and takes meds daily to help him with that.

Wow, I've never actually thought about all of this before.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My youngest Had bad allergies when she was under 5 yo. Had ear tubes put in and adenoids taken out.. Had her appendix taken out.  Glad my DH was in the army at the time and we did not have to pay for any of it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My oldest dd has grade 2 renal reflux and my youngest dd has a peanut allergy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2010

• My daughter was 9 mo in 2003 when out of the blue she had a fever-106.4*F - @ 1am..I was floored but thankful to live 5 minutes from a good hospital..after a few hours in the ER we were put in a room in peds 2 days later it was 106.2*F...I can't remember what they first told me she had, if it was an infection or not but they got to the conclusion she had a kidney stone at 9 mo...I was so scared for her and her twin sister at home...We were in the hospital for 3 weeks and she had 4 surgeries in that time. We got to go home for a week before heer last surgery to blast the stone..Thank the Lord it was all a success...My babies are 8 yo now....I'm very thankful to live in this day of modern medicine and very smart doctors and nurses...
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 8:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2010