How can I clean my house if my baby only want to be held?

How can I clean my house if my baby only want to be held by me? She is 9 weeks old breastfeeding and co-sleeping. I co-sleep because my baby never liked being alone in her crib. I am a new mom I did not know what to do so i just held her. Ive tried using a ring sling and a baby Bjorn sling she just fusses. until I take it off and put her on my shoulder. I put her in the play gym but she just last enough for the dishes. She falls asleep on my shoulder and i put her in the swing soon after she realizes she starts to cry. I always try to soother before picking her up. Can i let her cry for a while so i can get the house clean before my fiancee gets home from work?

becarefulibite

Asked by becarefulibite at 2:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO, you should never let a baby that young cry unless you really need to. I mean, nothing horrible is going to happen if she starts crying while you're on the toilet, you know? But she is more important than housework and if your fiance wants a clean house then he needs to help you get it that way. Just do what you can and let go of the rest.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• i use the snugli front carrier. my dd LOVES it!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 2:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• well i started letting my DD fuss herself to sleep at 4 weeks. since then, she's on a very good schedule. she's 13 weeks now. she takes a nap at 11-12, then another from 1-3, then goes to bed at 8 and wakes up only twice to eat which is at midnight and 4:30 each night, and she doesn't co-sleep with me. imo, you need to stop the co-sleeping. i know alot of moms that were all for co-sleeping, and now that their kids are older, they're regretting it, and recommending other mothers not to. if you know she is fed, changed, and there is nothing wrong with her, letting her cry for a couple of minutes isn't going to hurt. you may even find that she'll put herself to sleep. just a couple of minutes at this age. once she's a few more weeks older, you can start doing it a little longer, like 10 minutes.
    Anonymous

• since my DD is 13 weeks now, i let her cry for about 10 before i go in there and give her the binky. i give it to her, and she's normally out like a light. sometimes she takes it and then spits it out when i leave, she cries for like 2 minutes, and then she's out. GL.
    Anonymous

• It depends if its just fussing or full-blown crying. If you know there is nothing wrong I'd let her fuss and have her try to soothe herself. I let my first son co-sleep until about 6 months and he was fine switching to his crib. I'm doing the same thing with my 2 week old now, I didn't plan on it but it makes him happy which lets me get sleep. So dont feel bad,
    Anonymous

• My baby always wanted to be held too so I just didn't clean the house (or take a shower, or do laundry or eat. etc)! LOL! Is there any way you can let things slide for a bit? Maybe your finacee could help you out - either by holding the baby so you can get some things done, or maybe doing some cleaning? Don't worry, things definitely get better as the baby gets older. My daughter is 10 mths now and I can clean again!
    Cafe Suzanne

Answer by Cafe Suzanne at 4:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I have the same problem with my 13 week old but it's getting better. Now that he can see farther I just put interesting things around him and he lays and looks at them. Granted it doesn't last very long and I don't get much work done and don't really get to eat anything that takes more than 2 minutes to make until my husband gets home. I let him fuss it out but when he really starts throwing a fit I give in unless we're in the car..then he just has to scream cuz I can't pull over every 30 seconds. But it will get better it's just that right now she's very dependent on you!
    Anonymous

• You are doing EVERYTHING right as it is- don't let anyone tell you different!!
    The only thing you are doing wrong is not expecting your fiance to help out.
    He can pick up the house chore slack. It won't kill him to fold clothes or clean the bathroom. He can also take your baby in the evening while you get a load of laundry done, or clean a bedroom.

As for getting a few chores done during the day- just focus on one room a day.. You'll never have all of your house clean at the same time, but you don't NEED to! There is absolutely no reason in the world why your house chores should come above your baby. If she needs your comfort, give it to her. You're her mommy and she loves you. The best thing you can do is continue to meet her needs the way you have been.

You're doing a GOOD job!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• BTW- as a co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother who has a baby who will be 4 weeks on monday, and also has a two year old whom I did the exact same things with- I DO NOT REGRET CO-SLEEPING or TENDING TO MY CHILDREN'S NEEDS!!!!
    My house may be a bit messier than others, but I don't bother having company over who would judge me on that! In fact- I have the kind of friends who will come over and hold the baby for me while I sort laundry and wash my dishes, or who aren't afraid to pick up a broom themselves!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• PUT HER IN A JHONY JUMPER OR WALKER AND PUT MUSIC ON,LIKE THE WIGGLES,MY DD LOVES THE WIGGLES THATS HOW I CLEAN,I HELD HER ALOT TOO,I BREASTFEED AND LET HER SLEEP WITH ME.GIVE HER LOTS OF TOYS,I USE STUFF AROUND THE HOUSE ALSO THAT SHE PLAYS WITH LIKE A SPOON,A BOTTLE NIPPLE,THEY LIKE TO PLAY WITH BIG PEOPLE STUFF.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2008