getting baby to take the bottle?

I have been exclusively breastfeeding for 9 weeks. I want to return to work knowing she will be eating. I have tried giving it to her she just cries. I asked her grandma to try once and she did not go for it. Should I try scheduling bottle only during the hours i will be at work?

becarefulibite

Asked by becarefulibite at 2:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was able to have my mother bottle feed the baby only when I wasn't around. If you are around, I think the baby is just waiting for the breast.

Good Luck!
    jiara1

Answer by jiara1 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• i babysat a kid that was exclusively breastfeeding, but his mom decided to go back to school, so she tried putting him on formula. he wouldn't take it from her so she would just give up and bf him. when she gave him to me, he wouldn't take it at first, but when he was hungry enough, he had no choice but to take it. he eventually got used to me feeding him formula and his mom bfing him. but if his mom was in the room with me while i was trying to feed him the formula, he wouldn't take it, cuz he could smell his mom and know she was there to feed him. so getting someone else, like your dh/so, to feed her with the bottle while you're not there works great.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I know getting baby to take a bottle can be really hard, so be patient. It may cause some tears for awhile (from both of you!), but she'll get there! I feel very lucky that my guy does as well as he does (he was only one month old). It took a few tries in the beginning, but now he'll take any bottle, from anyone. When we were first starting, I made sure that I wasn't around when Daddy would try to give him a bottle (even if this just meant I was in the other room). I use BreastFlow bottles primarily, though the first one he took to was a Soothie.

Oh, and I usually feed him from the breast when I'm around, but he'll take a bottle of expressed milk from me too if there's some leftover when I get to him, if I've just pumped and he decides he's hungry, or we're out somewhere that I don't want to whip out a boob. :) That's entirely up to you!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yep, have someone else offer the bottlewhen she is hungry and you are no where in sight.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2008